Suspicions, Suspicions

I run a home daycare from 7am-midnight. One of my parents works from 3pm-8. One day I had to call her regarding an urgent matter, and when I called her job, they told me she was off for the day. I then called her and said that if she has the day off, her child must be picked up by 6pm which is when the day-shift is over. I am now leary about whether or not she's actually going to work during these hours, especially since she didn't mention to me that day that she was taking off. What should I do, I told her that if she is off then it's not fair for me to watch her child until 9pm if she's not at work. Should I periodically call her job to check or just leave it alone?

need2rest71

Asked by need2rest71 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would not call her job. You don't want to stir up trouble with the mother. You are being paid to watch the child right? I would just leave it alone.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Call and check. Just ask them when she works as you have her child and need to know so you can call her in the event of an emergency. All they have to tell you is yes or no she is there. If she's not working then I would charge her more because its her time to spend with her child. Most childcare facilities require you be at work or you can only use the service for 4 hours.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Honestly? I don't get how it's your business. You chose your hours of operation and she is paying you for them. Perhaps she wants her child to have the same routine everyday, regardless of whether she is off or not. I would get very upset if I found out my childcare provider was calling my job to find out if I was working or not. If she gave you her cell number, then you can get in touch with her regardless of if she is working or not, so it really doesn't matter. If you don't want to watch kids that late, then change your hours. And I've never heard of a facility, or home daycare requiring someone to be at work. If I'm paying you to care for my child, it's not your business what I am doing, as long as I pay you and my child does not appear to be abused or neglected.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If she is paying you for your time, does it matter?
    Anonymous

• What does it matter if she's at work or not? You are being paid to provide a service, not dig into your clients affairs. If you don't want to watch her child don't watch her child. If you don't like watching kids you may be in the wrong business.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 6:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• She is your client. Leave it alone. She pays you. Maybe she had problems that day, something personal that didn't want to involve or worry her child.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 6:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I feel as long as she is paying you and you have established these hours, unless she comes in reaking of alcohol, I wouldn't be concerned. Is it fair, No, she is taking advantage, but you would have to revise your rules before you enforce it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If she is paying it shouldn't matter what she does. I have a friend that sends her kids to daycare just to get some down time, she pays the after hours charge so the daycare doesn't have a say in the matter.
    southernstyle88

Answer by southernstyle88 at 9:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• mamo5, I never said I didn't like watching kids, If I didn't like this field I have enough sense to get out of it, it's a matter of principal. She is not paying me, the state is paying me and while I understand parents need down time for themselves, I'm asking that they be upfront especially if I'm watching your child well into the evening. I would not take advantage of a providers hours if I needed care. I would understand that she has a life as well and I would bring them in the morning if I needed some down time. I love my job and I feel as a provider that a lot of parents take advantage and feel that you're suppose to do this or do that. We want respect to in our fields. I provide the best and if I'm giving my best , the least you could do is be upfront with me this is about working together.
    need2rest71

Answer by need2rest71 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• As long as you're getting paid, it's her business what she does---you do need to have a valid emergency contact number though, so I would make sure I had that from her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Apr. 23, 2009