Would you dress your baby in homemade clothes?

If a friend was an amateur seamstress with little to no experience, would you let your child wear the clothes she made?

tyheamma

Asked by tyheamma at 5:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Of course! Clothes made with love are the best!
    If there are noticable seamstress mishaps then I would just have my child wear them at home or to her home. I would never hurt her feelings.
    My friend and I learned to sew together by sewing things all the time for each other. I made clothes and she mainly sewed craft items. It was so much fun and we got to be so good at it!
    I actually got hired by a dance studio to sew dance costumes for the small children and the parents of most of the other dancers paid me to make alterations to their children's costumes.
    I ended up creating tu-tu's and ballet wrap skirts with matching scrunchies and bun covers that the dance studio displayed in their glass case and sold for me.
    I also sewed cheerleader outfits for a team one year for my friend's daughter's cheerleading team.
    I never forgot my daughters - I loved to make them new dresses all the time!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Abosolutely, I don't see one thing wrong with it. Maybe not in public if they weren't done really well, but for sure at home.
    mom_wrhsc

Answer by mom_wrhsc at 5:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• why not? maybe not in public like the first post said, in case the seams aren't strong don't want them to wear out. but your friend needs to learn somehow and that the perfect way to learn by doing kids clothes
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yes. I didn't make any baby clothes myself, they are too small and I would get frusterated too fast. I do however, make baby blankets. I never liked the ones sold in stores, so I made my own.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• yeah i would just if they are that bad looking let them wear it around the house and to go see your friend to make her feel better, but take them off if your going into public and you think their ugly
    Anonymous

• Hell yeah I would, as long as it's not all funky lopsided like mine would turn out, absolutely!
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 5:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• if they were cute then of course i would. then again if you and her dont have the same taste then i would politely explain that sorry its not gunna work but ur daughters whole wordrobe doesnt have to be homemade either.
    lydiamama

Answer by lydiamama at 6:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If they were cute, hell yes! If they were silly I would still dress my kids in it haha, who cares? As long as its not screwed up badly or they really look horrible lol.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 6:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Whats wrong with homemade clothing?
    lilnivy

Answer by lilnivy at 9:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• heck ya!!!! i'm pregnant with a baby girl now and i'm sewing a ton of cloths for her. we are way to broke to spend a bunch of money on clothes when i have tons of cute fabric sitting around. and to the person who posted about not wearing them outside because the seams wont hold together. if the person sewing knows how to sew that shouldnt me a problem. i work in retail and we often have clothes come back because the seam gave out. i trust my own seams more then a mass produced item. i take came to lock my stitches and then serge the edges.
    06-07mom

Answer by 06-07mom at 9:48 AM on Nov. 1, 2009