Need help from breast feeding moms please..

I had my baby on April 13th and have been EBF-ing him since then, I got mastasis spl?? and have been taking anti biotics to clear it up, now the engorgement is gone and the mastasis seems to be clearing up, but my boobs kinda feel empty...could they be drying up? Or are they regulating to baby's feeding schedule??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just feed your baby whenever he/she is hungry and the milk supply will meet what they need. My son is 13 months and still breastfeeding and somedays my boobs are so full of milk that they seem to flood, and others they seem empty. Its all about supply and deand. You will do fine with what you have. Good Luck.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Demand** Sorry
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 5:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I agree - just feed when hungry. You're supply is adjusting to the baby. My daughter is 11 months and most of the time my breasts feel so empty it doesn't seem like there is anything in them - but she is still satisfied after eating.
    Anonymous

• don't worry about them feeling empty.... it probably seems scary especually after feeling engorged before then. I highly doubt your drying up. If the baby is hsving enough wet/poopy dipes your fine. Don't stress. I always fed all mine on demand., or atleast checked every hour and a half, and let him nurse as long as they want. Also since you were on antibiotics you may want to take probiotics... and eat yogurt to build up your good bacteria.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Alot of doctors will perscribe antibiotics when youre just badly engorged. I went to a doctor and the nurse told me she went through the same thing, horrible big lumps in your breast and you cant wear a bra because it hurts so bad, waking up with chills & shakes. She gave me an oral antibiotic and said "just pump and nurse as often as humanly possible". Then the doctor came in holding two shots and a perscription and said i needed them. I told him i was gong to take his nurses advice and he told me that she wasnt a certified doctor, blah, blah, blah. She went though this and thats good enough for me. So i followed her advice without taking the shots and it cleared up within the week.
    I doubt your drying up because of the meds, just pump and nurse as often as possible. Sip water all day and keep your calorie intake up. A good site for information is GotBreastPump.com they have info on nursing as well.
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 5:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Sounds like your supply is regulating. Congrats!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Engorgement usually dissapates eventually. If your baby is having the appropriate number of diapers, does not appear dehydrated, and appears otherwise healthy you are probably just regulating your supply.

I would join a breastfeeding group here or at mothering.com to draw from a more concentrated pool of bfers who have likely been in your situation.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 6:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Feeling empty is usually a normal sign during breast feeding that your breasts are accustomed to the demand.

However, if you're unsure and concerned, you can tell if your baby isn't getting enough by counting their diapers and watching their weight. You can also take them to a doctor and have them weighed before and then after you BF and the weight difference will tell them how much the baby got and if it is enough.

The baby seeming hungry or wanting to suck for longer as well as breasts feeling empty and lack of the let-down sensation that you had in the begining aren't signs that something is wrong with your milk supply.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I agree, either way, you need to feed on demand. My body got used to making the milk and I didn't feel as full starting around 2 or 2 1/2 months. Best of luck to you!!!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I agree with what others have said.

My son is 16 months and some days my boobs feel empty all the time and others they can be quite full.

Just make sure you are well hydrated and you should be fine.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2009