How long does a newborn nurse off each breast for?

is 20 mins each breast too long?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• nothing is too long...let her eat as long as she wants....shes getting used to it and getting all the good stuff:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I have 3 kids and I did 10 min. per side. It worked so well. My bb new that they had to get it quick (no farting around) and besides I could not stand to sit much longer.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 5:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• With my girls I did it more then 15 to 20 mins on each side
    Mz.PhatPhat

Answer by Mz.PhatPhat at 5:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• As a pp said, no time is too long. I probably nursed my second about 16hrs a day as a newborn.

It is VERY important to nurse on demand, especially in the first two months when you are establishing your supply. There are breastfeeding groups on here and at mothering.com; I would ask there for help specific to breastfeeding.

I got a Moby wrap so I could get some things done and still nurse her. Slings are nice but they do not position the baby for hands free nursing as a wrap does.

I also had a nursing nest for nursing in bed; that thing was awesome!
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 5:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My lactation consultant (well both actually, I saw two) said not to let them go for more thant 15-20 minutes per side. Their stomachs are only the size of their fists. Letting them feed longer can cause an upset tummy. If they still want to suck after that, they may be trying to use you as a pacifier, which according to What to Expect the First Year (page 123) is an undesireable habit. If the baby is doing it because they genuinely aren't getting enough, milk you can tell this by lack of weight gain as well as an insufficient amount of diapers produced per day.

If you really want to be able to tell if your baby is getting enough vs. filling and then just using you as a pacifier or over-eating, you can take them to the doctor. Your baby will get weighed, then you'll BF, then they'll weight your baby again. The difference in weight will tell them how many ounces he/she got and the doctor can let yo uknow if this is OK
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Good luck!
    NovemberLove

• 20 mins is fine. 5 mins is fine. 35 mins is fine. You nurse until they come off your breast, then you can offer the other one. If they take it, continue to nurse until they come off.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I have heard a couple things...first, that after about 20 mins the breast is mostly empty...they say you can continue to get a little bit out no matter how long they suck so it is okay to let them go longer. And second, that sucking helps you develop your supply to meet their needs so I'm sure once you get your supply built up, your baby will have enough to be satisfied without taking so long.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• As long as they want. Watch the baby, not the clock.. and congrats on your new little one!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 6:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I agree with the 1st poster.....just follow her cues and not the clock. Good luck!
    BttrMom0407

Answer by BttrMom0407 at 6:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2009