How does somoeone NOT KNOW they're pregnant?

Watching the previews for that show "I Didn't Know Iwas pregnant."

How can you not know? There's the absence of a period or morning sickness, swelling belly, the feeling of something hard is sitting in your stomach, the movement of the baby. So how can someone not know they're pregnant?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 5:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well, in the beginning, especially before say 20 weeks, if someone is obese, they may not realize. Also, some people actually have some form of a period throughout their entire pregnancy. Now, once the baby starts moving and have a hard knot as big as a beachball in there, then ya... you're clueless.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 5:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I have no Idea. I saw someone post something about that show, and said she didn't know until she was in labor. Really? My son at five and six months would roll so much that my stomach looked lopsided until he readjusted himself. That lasted the rest of my pregnancy. It baffels me how you have no idea.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 5:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I ask the samething when I seen that. Cause I know when I'm like 6 weeks I get so sick and still feel bad and I'm 26 weeks and always have pains. So I do not know how they do not know.
    Mz.PhatPhat

Answer by Mz.PhatPhat at 5:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I get that some women have no or minimal symptoms. But once that baby starts rolling around I dont get it. I'm gonna say it's denial.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• It really does happen, I don't think it's fair to judge them. No one's pregnancies are the same. If you actually watch the show they have some pretty good explanations for what happened...
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Oh Yeah, maybe they didn't have cafe mom around to tell them! lol
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If you watch the show, after each story they have a doctor explain how it was possible for the gal to not know. In some women they have an anterior placenta that attaches to the front of their uterus, restricting fetal movement and making it near impossible to feel the baby moving and easier to mistake for indigestion. Some women still have bleeding during their pregnancies, even though they are not true periods. There were some women in the show like me with PCOS who do not get periods or rarely get periods, so it didn't seem strange to them at all. When I was pregnant my belly didn't show until I was eight months and even then it was so small that I just looked a little fat. I wore my prepregnancy jeans. I had two negative tests, one at 4 weeks, one at 6. At 8 weeks I had one error and then finally a positive. I can't imagine if I had gone on and not known!
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 6:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yeah I had no clue I was pregnant until I was 3 months and I only took a test at the insistance of my best friend....I have PCOS also and it was nothing for me to go 2, 3 or even 6 months without a period. I didn't gain much weight and finally had to get out of my reg jeans at 7 1/2 months. I think If she hadn't insisted I take a test I probably wouldn't have known for much longer.
    Carli26

Answer by Carli26 at 7:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I agree with Steff107. I've seen the show a few times and I personally could see how they would think they were other things besides being pregnant. Even more so when you were told you could never have kids for some medical reason. I can understand that. some of them make me mad because to me or a lot of women it would be obvious that we are pregnant but with some women you just can't tell. The experts even explain how it can happen. I actually feel bad for women who never knew they were pregnant because they don't get to experience all the joys and discomforts that come with pregnancy. I wouldn't have changed those for the world, even the most uncomfortable parts :)
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 7:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2009