When did you first make an appointment for your child's vision?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter went to a pediatric opthamologist when she was about 8-9 months old. One of her pupils is larger than the other.

But, I think i really depends on your pediatricians opinion and the severity of the problem. Usually it requires a referral (at least in my experience). If you want just a general look-see to see if everything is okay... your pediatrician should have been doing that for you every visit thus far.

Best wishes.

QueenieSue

Answer by QueenieSue at 5:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My oldest is the only one of my kids that has been to the eye doctor. She went just after she turned 4 just to make sure he clumsiness was just her regular kid stuff, or if she had a vision problem.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 5:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I went with my son as an infant, but he had a chance at being born legally blind due to a hereditary trait that luckily he did not get, however I waited to take my girls until they were 4 yrs old when they were reading and writing very good. I have one with reading glasses, and one with prescription glasses, I also have a child with a pupil that is larger than the other but it turned out to be benign.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 5:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My oldest was three when we noticed his eye had started turning in. So the others went at the same time to be checked. (they were 1 and an infant)

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• We started at three; my husbnad and I both have family histories of pediatric cataracts.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My youngest got glasses at 19 months. We started noticing his eyes turning in at 17 months but it took 2 months to get an appointment. My oldest just turned 4 and he has not been yet so we need to get an appointment set up just in case because both my husband and I wear glasses and now the baby so it's time. Butter to be safe then sorry.

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 6:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My oldest went the first time just before she turned 5 because it was required to start kindergarten. She's almost 9 and that is the only time she has been to the eye doctor.
    My son in 7 and has only seen the pediatrician for his eyes (or the person that screens the little kids at school).
    My 6yo daughter has been seeing a pediatric ophthalmologist since she was 17 months old because her tear ducts were blocked. She had surgery and has worn glasses since she was 18 months.
    My youngest is 3 and has never been to the eye doctor.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My oldest daughter went when she was 3, my youngest hasn't gone yet. I asked our pediatrician and our optometrist, and both recommended yearly exams starting at 3, or sooner if there was a reason to suspect a problem.
    MommyLi288

Answer by MommyLi288 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• About 6 months. There's a free vision screening program for infants... www.infantsee.org. When vision problems are caught and corrected early, the outcome is much better.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I talked to the eye doctor I go to about that. He said that he recommends as early as 3 unless you suspect a problem or as late as 5 since most kids have to have an exam before they start Kindergarden
    TatersMom2006

Answer by TatersMom2006 at 1:39 AM on Apr. 23, 2009