Pumping at work?

Where do you pump at work? What are the rules on it? Do they have to give you a place to do it?

My work is nasty to me about it and I only do it on my lunch break. I have to eat on the floor of a disgusting storage closet where I have to sit and pump at the same time because we only get about 25 mins.

I am NOT happy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My work is not much better. I rarely get any clean place to pump, plus I only get to once a day. I recently wrote my representative, I suggest that you do too!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I know when I worked, there was a room with a couch that mom's could use during their breaks, or lunch to pump.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 5:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• They have to provide you with a safe and clean place to pump. But you still have to do it on your break time I believe.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 5:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• That would suck. My friend pumped on her two 15 minute breaks and her 1 hour lunch break...all in her car. Where do you work?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• look up the laws in your state. some have laws that state there has to be time for you to pump and a private place for you to do so. in VA employers are required to allow breastfeeding mothers a certain length of time to pump for every 4 hours they work, on top of their breaks.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yes knowing your laws is important. Also know your WORK rules. Have a handbook and know how many breaks you are really supposed to get. My old job didn't like us to take our two 15's on top of our lunch yet the handbook stated we could.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Where I work you pump during your break time... but we also get 30 mins lunch and 2 15 mins breaks. They also have a pumping room, but I use another room.
    I usually take 15 mins to pump once/day and about a 20 min lunch break
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Each state has different laws. In California, where I live, they are required to provide you with a private space that is NOT a bathroom and give you breaks to pump. Check with your human resources department about this issue, not your supervisor, because it is they who set the rules.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 6:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2009