When should you send out wedding invitations to out of state guests?

I recieved a wedding invitation in the mail today for a wedding that is in Texas, I live in TN. The wedding in in 11 days. The invite is postmarked the 20th which was yesterday. I have a problem with someone sending me an invite to a wedding that is less than two weeks away and it being out of state. I thought you should send out invitations at least a month in advance so guests could make arrangements. Could someone fill me in here and tell me what is a proper time frame to send out invites to out of state guests?

GoVolmama

Asked by GoVolmama at 5:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Entertainment

• i don't know what proper etiquette says, but common sense says send it out earlier if you want them to come so they can make the arrangements. is it someone you know well and knew the date and stuff already so they just assumed you would know. i've never gotten a wedding invite on such short notice. normally like 2 or 3 months in advance b/c they have to give caterers counts etc for food and stuff like that. so maybe it was a last min thing?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I would think it is a month for out of state invites. I guess it depends on the person who sends it.
    IRA871

Answer by IRA871 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• At least a month but in this economy and for those who arent wealthy 6 months, lol. My family would need that amount of time to save for a trip out of state.
    I'm guessing they sent it to you to get a gift and so you couldnt say you didnt get one. :-(
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• to answer the first posters question... yes we do know them it is my hubbys cousin, however, We didn't know specifics of the wedding like city, church, time. We won't be going, one because we already RSVP to a wedding in our state and two cause we didn't know the specifics and cannot make arrangements on such short notice (money)
    GoVolmama

Answer by GoVolmama at 6:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• 6 to 8 weeks is good. it gives them time to prepare for the trip.
    countryGIRL399

Answer by countryGIRL399 at 7:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• When my cousins got married, out of state invites went out 6 weeks before the wedding, the locals about 4 weeks before the wedding.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2009