Is my husband stupid?!!!

I'm so angry right now. He did it again!!! We don't have a lot of money so we have to be careful. He fails to balance a check book, and he just spent $135 on car parts and didn't tell me! So I paid a bill for $200 not knowing and now we are screwed. He does this all the time and all he says is sorry. It's just not good enough for me. I would have separate bank accounts but he makes most of the money that goes towards the bills, which I have to make sure are paid because he won't send out the payments unless I force him to.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Why not have two accounts...1 for bills and one for spending money? As soon as the check is deposited transfer money accordingly.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If we had a spending money account there would probably be $2 in it!lol
    Anonymous

• well i was in the same boat but we got seperate accounts now. and he also makes majority of the money so bills get paid by him also but i was tired of him overdrawing all the time b/c my name was looking bad also so now he has all the responsibility to make sure everything is paid and done and make sure there is enough money to spend on other wants. as soon as he started to manage his own money himself he learned that he couldnt do that no more and we need to communicate because he actually seem himself that he was screwing himself over and spending more than he has to... does that make sense? well anyways basically put it all on him and let him stress about it. it worked for me!
    lydiamama

Answer by lydiamama at 6:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Only let him have cash. Had to do it with my hubby.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 6:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• we had that problem. only I dont get a sorry I got told to stop spending money. Which is hilarious bc the only $ I 'spend' is seriously on diapers & household NEEDS. but he came home with a $300 gps nav thingy for the car 'just because' We tried the seperate accts 1 for bills 1 for spending. that didnt work bc when he got low on the spending acct he would transfer $ from the bill acct. So this may sound a bit 'degrading' to you but this is seriously the only thing that helped us. I told DH I needed an 'allowance' & he neded to figure out how much we had each wk that I could have to spend. So yea now I'm on a $100 a wk 'allowance' but that's just for my personal wants $ & what I've done is each week take $75 & hide it & now Ive saved close to $900 for an 'emergency' fund. I don't need the money but at least if I have it I know he won't spend it
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 6:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Take away his credit cards and stuff and give him cash, men seem to be bigger spenders than women lol
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 6:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My hubby uses his Capital One card, and the begining of every month Iwe put $500.00 on it -so we have a credit and wont be charged interest- He uses that for his monthly expenses and never goes over bc he doesn't want to pay interest. This works out well for us. I also got my daughter a prepaid visa card that i just load up for her that way she's not carrying around cash and loosing it. Its has online banking features as well so she can learn how to balance and management her allowence.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 6:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• We tried all sorts of different things back in the early years of our marriage - boy, did we ever have arguments!
    Anyhow, what ended up happening is that we sat down and worked out a budget that we both could live with AFTER all the bills were paid for. The extra money stayed in the bank and could not be touched by either of us unless we spoke to each other about it. Sounds juvenile? Well, it works for us. We work together as a team now instead of fighting over who is boss of the money.
    When we notice that a particular holiday or occasion occurs during the month then we allocate each other a certain amount of money that our budget allows so that we can purchase what we want.
    It is the only way to maintain a budget without going broke and without using credit cards.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2009