What can you use to relieve a burn?

My two yr old just burnt him self on our lawn mower. My husband had been mowing and my son went over trying to pretend to mow and I guess he touched something really hot on it. There are 4little spots on the top of his hand that have bubbled up a bit and hes crying constantly cause when you get burned that a lingering pain. Any advice as to what I can put on it. Keep in mind hes only two and he wont let me hold an ice pack on it or anything so Im needing an oitment of some kind that will relieve the pain.

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 6:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we use to use butter or mustard
    mnadcox

Answer by mnadcox at 6:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Aloe jelly. We keep a plant in the kitchen and a tube in the medicine cabinet. Do not use butter or any other grease.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Put some ice cubes in a bowl of water. About 15 minutes, lift the hand out, if it still burns stick it back in. Also you could run it under cold water from the faucet until it stops burning. The quicker you start this treatment the better. If the burns are bigger than a quarter he needs to see a doctor. Don't pop the blisters, that opens the area to infection, so after you get the burning stopped, wrap the hand in a nice thick bandage that you change once a day or when it gets wet.

Answer by Bmat at 6:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• after it had scabbed over, you can use lavendar
    casd

Answer by casd at 6:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Pickle juice, soak in pickle juice. weird i know but my ex worked fast food and thats what they would do if they got burned...
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 6:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Thank you guys, I just gave him some tylenol and no there not real big burnes but big enough to where I can see them. I guess that was stupid of me to let my son play with the lawn mower, he just likes to pull the cord cause he sees daddy doing it but I didnt even see him get burned so I dont know how and where on the lawn mower it happend. Lesson well learned but I will do the water thing and see how he likes that. Thanks again everyone!
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 6:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• do not use butter butter will make it worse!!!
    do not cover it, give him the tylenol and run it under cold water. if you cover it it keeps the heat inside and then you could also tear off skin when you remove the cover.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If the hand remains painful for him Solarcaine is a great anethestic spray for burns. You can find it in the pharmacy at the drug store or Wal Mart, & Target
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• solarcaine also a&d diaper rash ointment also works on cut and burns
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• aloe vera gel
    mcoche08

Answer by mcoche08 at 7:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2009