Military Wives has your husband been to Balad Iraq?

My husband is going to be deployed for the first time later this year. What can I expect from this base. What can he take as far as cell phones, laptops etc? How often will I be about to talk, or hear from him. Do they need phone cards? Anything special I should know? Anything I should be sending him that he might need?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• Well, i'm not a military wife. But i'm in the military. No use taking a cell....waaaay too much money to be able to use it there. He can take a laptop....don't know if he will be able to hook it up to the internet. I could not hook mine to the internet there. However, the MWR had computers to access the internet. He will have calling cards and the MWR will have phones. Also, if he's lucky his office where he works may have a phone and he can use it with the calling card to call anytime he has free. The PX will be small so if he uses any special deodarant, etc., he may not be able to get it there and may want you to send it. Lots of things to do....reading, puzzles, up to date music....the are the things I enjoyed when I got care packages. Hope this helped!
    Anonymous

• they can take anything they want its a question of will he be able to use it. a cell phone is pointless the cost of calling you from it even w/a calling card would be ridiculus. get lots of calling cards some places sell phones (they can buy there) that you just add mins too, that is what my husband does (he is not there he is somewhere else however i'm assuming yours can find something similar) as for the laptop he should ask his command if he will have internet access with it. and if so what type of access, if he doesn't have the access he may still want it for games and movies. talking and hearing from him really depends on their access to the internet and what he is doing. each deployment is different even with the same command so its hard to say. you really should talk to one of the wives in your husbands command to get tips from them if they have been through a deployment with that command before. that is the best CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• source of info, b/c like i said each branch, command, and even the deployments themselves are different. as for what to send, it depends on what they have access to over there, if he has access to a store he won't need the neccesities but if he doesn't he'll want the baby wipes, deodorant that kind of thing. if he has access send him fun stuff, stuff from the kids. do a google search for care packages for the troops and they give all kinds of ideas and themes (like a 4th of july package for 4th july w/decorations and kids toys) but if you send a theme package based around a certain date, send it a month or two early. it takes awhile to get to them sometimes.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If he takes a laptop, get hooked up with skype. You can talk over the internet, and see each other with web cams. Mine just left for Afghanistan. It's going to suck, really suck. He will get a packing list, and if there is room, he can take other things. From what I understand, they have a pretty good set up in Iraq, since that's where so much money has gone. My hubby calls me from a dsn line, so we don't pay for that. I can't give much more info, I'm in this for the first time, too! Over 15 years he went without deploying!
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 8:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Well, which base is he going? Are they the same?? IDK. Is your hubby army or air force, you asked both....
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 8:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• He is Air Force
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2009