My 2 year old is a sweet heart but is sooooo mean too

I have tried everything with him time out isolation spanking talking raised my voice but nothing works. He just turned 2 in march and he is so mean he doesnt share his sisters are 6yr and the other is 9 months he will hit both of them and throw things he hits me and his dad tells us no while pointing his finger. He not only mean to his sisters but any kid that comes over to play. he doesnt listen very well.
any advise?

momma3henson

Asked by momma3henson at 6:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like he's two! Two year olds are in between with the communication development and have a hard time expressing their feelings. They do scream, kick, cry and hit for very little things. Sounds like you guys need to put your foot down. He is running you. Make a special time out place. Give him consequences, don't allow him to disrespect you, it'll only get worse. No matter how much he kicks and screams he needs to know you are in charge!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My son is going to be 2 in June and he has NEVER once hit his sister (( 8 months old )) or he cousins.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I recommend strongly you read Raising our Children, Rasaising Ourselves.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• he didnt start being mean to the baby until like maybe 6 weeks ago and his older sister i almot thinks she starts it as bad as that sounds but i think it may be true but i try very hard to adjust him so to speak but its hard but i keep at it even if it takes for ever to keep him in time out. I know he understands me but i think he only hears what he wants to hear.
    momma3henson

Answer by momma3henson at 6:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Terrible Twos, my son is going through the same thing right now! It'll pass, I hope! LOL
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 7:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• He's behaving like a typical 2year old and is testing you and DH to see if you'll be consistent and set rules/boundaries.
    Give him a time out when he hits/kicks. Say to him "I'm putting you in T.O. for __, No __" then leave and set your timer for two min. If he gets up/out of T.O. put him back.
    When he's being fresh and saying "no" and pointing, just ignore him. If he sees he's not going to get a reaction, he'll stop doing it as often as he is now.
    If he throws something, tell him to pick it up. If he doesn't pick it up when you tell him to, go to him and physically help him pick up the item by placing your hand over his.
    Finally, catch him doing good! Specific praise when he is behaving can go a long way, even with a two year old.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2009