how can I get my5 month old son back to sleep without nursing him at night?

Baby takes naps during day without a problem bet at night hes another child...

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• some say the cry it out method, but I am not a big believer in that. I had an issue when my dd#3 was about that age and she started waking up again, I just found another comfort thing for her and now she settles right back to bed. Does he take a pacifier, or will giving him a lovey help(my dd loves to cuddle up with her blanket, so I just giver her blanket back to her and she cuddles up and heads back to sleep)? If he does have a comfort, the key for my daughter is to get it to her right when she is waking up, before she starts wailing. Once she starts crying, its over, I have to get up and nurse her for her to go back to sleep.

Answer by ajrobbins at 5:15 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• my little one still nursed during the night at 5 months, and depending on your son's size, he may need that. also around that time is when my little began to play more and wasn't always interested in nursing during the day, so I felt like night feedings were necessary.

if you usually nurse him in bed, try giving him a pacifier and putting him on his side. my son responded to that most of the time. I also rub his feet, back, or head to help him relax. good luck!

Answer by sbailey at 5:18 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• When you put your baby down for nap time or bed time, do it while they are drowsy but awake. This make take a few tries. The idea is that you want your baby to fall asleep by themselves in their crib, so that they can learn that they don't need Mommy or Daddy in order to fall asleep.

Answer by calliemist at 5:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• And they can start to associate the crib with sleep If they start to cry when you walk away, wait five minutes befor you go back in. Don't pick them up, just calm them down, maybe turn on some music, then go walk away again. This time, if s/he cries wait ten minutes. Keep doing this until s/he falls asleep by themselves. Do the same thing if they wake up during the night. Wait ten minutes, calm them down with out picking them up, then walk away for ten minutes (longer if you can stand it) untill they fall asleep
    The first two nights are the hardest, but it really works after a few nights. Your baby just needs to learn that s/he can fall asleep with out your presence. Do not nurse or feed him or her unless absolutly necessary. By this age your baby does not need to eat more than once during the night, though s/he may think s/he does in order to get back to sleep... which keeps you up more.
    Do you have a bedtime routine?

• Our pediatrician said that at 4-6 months is when they develop their "social stage" and that they are just looking to have someone to interact with. He suggested that when we go back into the room to soothe her that we don't make direct eye contact and that we just cover her back up, pop a binky in if you use it and then quietly leave. The good news is that it only lasts a week or two!! :-) Just a really long week or two!

Answer by mommytoadam at 7:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2008