about my dog:

My dog was givin to me and the owner's who's had him before never potty trained him. He pea's in the house and majority of the times we can't catch him in the act. How can we stop him from using the bathroom in our house? We take him out every so often plus reward him when he goes. I show him where he can do his business at outside because if not he does his business just where he feel's like doing it at. So any suggestion's on how to potty train a 6 yr. old dog that's never been potty trained before?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Pets

• take him out every 30 mins during the day. at night if he will not let you crate him take him our every hour. continue to reward him for going outside. when you do find pee or poop in the house point it out to him and tell him no, if its poop throw it outside and send him out with it. good luck
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I would NOT take him out at night. This will get him in the habit of waking you at night to go out. Take the water away 2 hours b/4 bedtime and take him out just b/4 you go to bed yourself. If he won't crate, then you can leash him and put the handle of the leash on the outside of the doorknob and shut the door. This will keep him in one place at night. He will get used to it. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks. Make it a daily habit. He will catch on. Also! DO NOT point out a mess in the house to him. You have to catch him w/in 10 seconds of the offense or he will have NO IDEA what you are scolding him for. If you don't catch him, let him smell it and then say "outside?" and take him outside. This will associate GOING outside to do it and the command. My dog comes and puts a paw on my arm and lets out a small woof. That's her signal to me she needs to go. I ask her "outside?" and she starts RUNNING to the door! Good luck!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I recently read an article about a similar situation and basically said with a dog of this age it may be harder to potty train but is possible with a patient and consistent owner. You have to start from the beginning like you would with a puppy. Taking the dog outside every 15-30 minutes, treat and praise when he goes. look up How to potty train and older dog and that will give you some insight on what you need to do... good luck!
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 10:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Pee-Pads. They are scientifically proven to attract dogs, and we had a 2 month old puppy walk over and use one regularly. Worth a try :)
    Charlies_mom

Answer by Charlies_mom at 1:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2009