National Service

What do you think about this?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090421/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_national_service

I think it's freaking fabulous. I did AmeriCorps for a year and it was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.

Doesn't look mandatory or like an education camp to me.

Would you ever consider doing a program like this? I would consider doing AmeriCorps again.

JackalsWife

Asked by JackalsWife at 6:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think its great and simply see it as a way for people to not only give back to their community, but to get something in return to help them out as well.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Doesn't look mandatory

The language about making the service mandatory was removed from the bill and his website after people started writing letters and emails to congress about it. As it stands, the amended version will do nice things, however, it is still unnecessary. I would rather have seen McCain's suggestion - a website that matches people up with volunteer organizations that already exist and are hurting for help, instead of creating a new high-profile place to volunteer while leaving all those other "less glamorous" places understaffed.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't but I don't need a program to volunteer. I work at the women's shelter 3 days a week 8 hour days with no pay. On Saturday mornings my whole family is at the homeless shelter cooking and serving meals for breakfast and lunch. I am also on the lunch line at the homeless shelter 3 other afternoons a week. We donate goods, money and our time as a family. Others may need an incentive to help others so this will be good for them. I don't so I would not participate. My kids are learning you help because it is the right and moral thing to do for our fellow humans not to get money for college.
    Anonymous

• Well, some people can't afford to JUST volunteer and some people really need the money for college. When I did it, I got a stipend of about $300 every 2 weeks so it's not a lot of money at all but it helps. It can help give people direction. Lots of my coworkers were young adults who were troubled and this helped them a great deal to get a new perspective on life and helping others.

We built houses, I was an assistant English teacher at an alternative high school, we did fundraisers etc..great, great experience.

JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 7:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I agree with ozarkgirl3 on this one..

(did I just say that? ;P)
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 7:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Hell No.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• H.R. 1444 opens the door to mandatory service   http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.1444:

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• From the above link http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.1444:
    The words required and mandatory are in there...
    (5) The effect on the Nation, on those who serve, and on the families of those who serve, if all individuals in the United States were expected to perform national service or were required to perform a certain amount of national service.

(6) Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.

(7) The need for a public service academy, a 4-year institution that offers a federally funded undergraduate education with a focus on training future public sector leaders.
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 8:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I don't like it because it violates constitutional rights. I don't like it because charity begins at home. I don't have to be "encouraged" to volunteer, I've been doing it for years. We as a country need to stop spending money we don't have.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c111:5:./temp/~c111TTjl5L:e162071:  prohibited activities.

•  

`(1) Attempting to influence legislation.

•  

`(2) Organizing or engaging in protests, petitions, boycotts, or strikes.

•  

`(3) Assisting, promoting, or deterring union organizing.

cont....

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• `(4) Impairing existing contracts for services or collective bargaining agreements.

`(5) Engaging in partisan political activities, or other activities designed to influence the outcome of an election to Federal office or the outcome of an election to a State or local public office.

`(6) Participating in, or endorsing, events or activities that are likely to include advocacy for or against political parties, political platforms, political candidates, proposed legislation, or elected officials.
    yourspecialkid