what age should a girl start to shave

my daughter is 8 but she has alot of leg hair and her hair is black so it shows up alot should i show her how to shave

mjbw

Asked by mjbw at 6:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think I was around nine. The later the better IMO
    Anonymous

• If she is not uncomfortable with it I wouldn't. You don't want to lower her self esteem.
    Anonymous

• if she has asked then yes. just tell her til she is older she can only shave below her knees (unless her thigh hair is thick enough so it will embarass her in a swim suit and that would be the only exception for me personally). if she doesn't have a problem with it though, than i would wait until she asks you if she can. i think i was about 11, but i have very light blonde hair so it didn't really bother me til then.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I would wait until she asks. Its a matter of personal preference, even at that age, and if it doesn't bother her and she doesn't get made fun of because of it, she probably hasn't noticed it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• at least 12.
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 7:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I started shaving when I was ten, and I got made fun of for it in fourth grade. But, it's something I wanted to do. I would also wait till she asks, and if she has already, then I would say go for it =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 7:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Personal decision for you and her. American Girl has a good book "Care and Keeping of You" which addresses shaving legs and other body issues good for this age.  Here is a link http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?node=9&page=2 

momjs

Answer by momjs at 7:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• if she has asked about it, i might let her....but if she hasnt asked i wouldnt worry about it. my SD is 8 but she is blonde so not an issue yet.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• my dd is almost 9 & has been "shaving" for almost a yr. it bothered her so i showed her how to shave with neet,nair that kind of stuff at first & the smell was really bad so i showed her how to shave with a razor, get a ballon & some shaving cream smear the ballon with it & teach her that her skin is just as sensitive as that ballon let her practice on the ballon when she can shave it without popping it she should do fine :)
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 23, 2009