Questions about a job

Well my husband want to find a new Job well first he wanted to go into the military but he is not to old and he is a felon, well then he wanted to work on big boats at like merchant marine well again he is a felon. So then he wanted to look into truck driving well we can not do that until tax time when we have the money for the schooling. Well he does not have a high school diploma nor does he have a GED. Can anyone give us an idea WITHOUT BASHING of the choice's he has. Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• does he still have a job? if he does i would just wait til he can do the truck driving thing. right now its just too hard to find a job to quit if he has one already w/o a garuntee back up. if he has lost his job, what was he doing before and can he find something in that field?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• See if he can find a truck driving job that pays for the training.

My SO started out as a "mechandiser" for a beer company (he went to all the stores and made sure that they were stocked and the displays looked nice) and after a while they paid him to do the class A training (to be able to drive the semi's) the only thing was it was a contract that stated that he would work for that company for a minimum of 2 years to pay off the debt of the schooling, and if he left prior to that he would have to pay whatever balance was left.

Have your husband go around to distributing companies and see if they are hiring.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• You may disagree with this advice but I would go on welfare and then concentrate on him getting his ged then further training. It's a lousy job market and without that diploma I don't think he is going to get very far.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• my ex couldn't get a job as a truck driver bc he is a felon. Their job opportunties are indeed limited. In FL he couldn't even get a job at the convenient stores bc they sell state lottery tickets among other things but you didn't ask what he can't get, you asked what he can get. My grandson just got out and he's having the same problem. The local unemployment office is supposed to be helping him connect with places he can get hired on at but so far they have just played with his resume. No GED. Felon. He went into adult prison at 15 and out at 18. No work history. No nothing. So it's not easy. Let me know if you find something so I can pass it on. OH, check with your state to see if you can ask his felon status be removed and rights returned. Only six states won't let them have them back and of course one is where we live!

Answer by admckenzie at 8:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2009