Baby weight

HEy ladies, I was wondering how long it usually takes to lose the weight you gained during pregnancy. I am currently 32 weeks and have put on about 18 lbs, I will be breastfeeding.

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 7:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Jesus I wish I'd only gained 18 pounds! I gained 60, however, I lost 30 lbs of water weight within the first 3 weeks. Yes I was extremely bloated. So I'd say you'd lose about half of that within the first few weeks. The other pounds will come off with breastfeeding and healthy eating/exercise within the first few months.
    Anonymous

• lol anon. I gained 73 pounds (ugh). I am now 2 weeks out from the birth and have lost 40 pounds, i had edema really bad though so i think i peed out most the wieght. dont know how much time it will take to loose the rest though. My doc said though to give myself about a year to get around pre-pregnancy wieght though. Which makes sense cause it took 9 months to put it on and so it will take a little time to get it off. Im hoping though it comes off a lot quicker sense im eating decent and walking tons
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 7:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My son is 13 years old and I have yet to lose the baby weight. LOL!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Nine months on, minimum nine months off.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:22 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I gained 24 pounds and was back in my pre pregnancy jeans the same week that i had my DD and lost all of my baby weight by week 2. And by 4 months, I lost an additional 15 pounds. I will say it is because of breastfeeding because I didn't diet or exercise. I think alot of it depends on your genes! Good luck!
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 10:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I gained over 40lbs, and it took me about 10 months to lose the weight, and then another 3-4 months for my hip bones to go back into place so that my old pants fit. I breastfed exclusively for the first 6 months, and then continued to breastfeed after that. I joke that my son got all the fat.... Which isn't much of a joke considering I had to start eating lots of avocados to keep any fat to myself!

Different women take different amounts of time, though. If you haven't put on much weight, it should come off pretty quickly while breastfeeding. But... you want to take at least 9 months to lose it, otherwise it can have a physical toll on you. :) It's the "9 months on, 9 months off" rule. They also say you should keep an extra 10lbs on while you're breastfeeding, but my body ignored that rule and my breastfeeding relationship didn't seem to suffer from it.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 10:55 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think it takes about twice as long to get it off if you do it right. I had a big gap between #2 and #3 and about three years after my hips and everything had gone back to where they should have been. You can lose the weight but it takes a bit longer for everything to strengthen back up. It is a process, don't sweat it too much.
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 12:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2009