Would you throw a sleep-over for your kid's birthday?

My son wants to have one, but his birthday is September 4th, so he starts a new school year every year on his birthday and I don't really know any of the kids yet.

Last year we tried handing out invites at the end of the school year for a party on the 4th, and only one kid showed.

What would you do?

violaswamp

Asked by violaswamp at 7:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would just delay the party. Give it a couple weeks to let the newness of school settle into a routine & for your son to get to know his classmates. I know it is fun to have the party on an actual birthday but it isn't a law or anything! The sleep over is your call. Try to keep it to 4 or 5 kids. In my experience, that works out much better.

If you are worried about no shows, put an RSVP on the cards & try to hand deliver them to the parents. You can also ask for the school phone list & call the parents whose children you invite. Either that or look to other groups besides school--Scouts or Little League team or church or whatever your family is involved in. As long as the kids are within a couple years of your son's age, it will work out fine.

Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• no on the sleep over especially on a new year if he doesnt know the kids that is just set up for sleep wars you know what i mean...shaving cream etc. I would do something cool like laser tag, make invites again and make him tell everyone too
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I would have the party earlier or just whenever you think it will work out best. There's nothing wrong with having the party on a different day than his birthday! Even if that means bumping it up or back by a month. Do it when you think will work out best for him and his friends and then on his ACTUAL birthday you can have cake and presents with just the family.

Michele_Lynn

Answer by Michele_Lynn at 7:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• ouch only one kid showed. I think that would be way to far out to give out invites cause people lose stuff and just plain forget that far out. how about having it a couple weeks into the school year so your son will be more likely to know more of the kids. I would tell him that only a couple kids could stay over but he could invite X number for the party during the day that would limit the amount of children spending the night and might make you feel more comfortable if you dont know the children staying over very well since it will be a smaller ratio or parent to children.
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 7:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• maybe let him invite kids from school for a party, then let him pick 2 or 3 kids to spend the night that you already know and their parents know you. if you do a sleepover you won't get as many kids there, i for one would not allow my daughter to spend the night at a friends house that she just met.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• In all honesty, I dont think I would throw any sleep over parties at my home, Just because I dont want to be responsible for other peoples children being at my house overnight. I would throw Bday parties that are in the afternoon, but no sleepovers...Nor would I let my daughter sleep over at anyones sleepover parties...I have a hard time trusting other people and I just dont want to risk anything...I may sould like a Debbie Downer but Oh well!! lol :)
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 9:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• How about just throwing parties with family and friends? If he has a couple of friends here or there invite them too...Its hard if he is at a new school and u will be throwing a party...
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2009