i have no idea how to have "the period" talk with my 10 year old daughter.

countryGIRL399

Asked by countryGIRL399 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Ask her what she knows about a girl turning into a woman, go from there. If she knows nothing then tell her there comes a time when every girl gets a period and start explaining. You might want to buy a book showing her everything, like how to put on a pad, how to keep track of her periods so she knows when it's going to come. Maybe even a video and you explain as it goes. Trust me I wished someone would have told me before I got mine, I thought something was horribly wrong!!!!
    Anonymous

• i'm assuming she hasn't had a class in school yet? most kids around that age have already had the "sex ed" class in school and you can build the convo from there. if not, then get some books or articles for her questions, sit her down (no dad no one else there) and tell her that girls bodies start changing more than boys bodies at a certain point. and what will happen. give her the basics that you are comfy giving and answer questions she has. kind of let her lead it after you give the basics. my mom never had the talk with me i learned in school at the sex ed class, that just said girls have periods boys don't. and told us what a period is. she may want you to show her how to use a pad (i know kids who's parents have asked) that way if she starts in school she knows what to do and doesn't have to go to the nurse that would probably embarass her), and that is a chance for you to introduce deodorant and other "girly" stuff too
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I just told my 9 1/2 year old twins about aunt flo visiting. I just simply asked them if they have heard of girls starting their period. I explained to them what would happen, and that it's a natural process, and to not be scared. It was actually pretty easy....easier than I thought at least. Good luck to you!
    mom2twingirl797

Answer by mom2twingirl797 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• What grade is she in? They learn about it in school in 4th grade. She probably already knows more than you think. You really do need to talk to her now, girls as young as 9 get their periods. Ask her what she has heard or learned in school. There are some wonderful books that can help you. American Girl Doll even has one. Ask the school nurse and she should be able to give you some suggestions. Good luck to you, I have a boy so I get to skip this whole talk. That is unless my nieces ask me.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Just a quick note to tyfry7496...Have "The Talk" with your son also...just because he's a boy, doesn't mean that he can be left out of That information loop! I told BOTH my Daughter and my Son about the "Facts" of EACH SEX...you don't have to go into minute details immediately, but DO SET THEM STRAIGHT on the MAIN ONES! Otherwise, you might get a surprise as to what they pick-up on their own from their peers.
    hellood

Answer by hellood at 9:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• American Girl's book entitled "The Care and Keeping of You" has great pictures and much information. This was a beginning point for my talk with my daughter and a good refrence for her later.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 1:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• here they start the videos/sex ed talk in 4th grade. they just go over anatomy, menstration, and hygene. either way, ask what she knows. kids pick up a lot so you might be surprised. then just answer her questions and go over the basics.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:04 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Don't forget the book, "Where Did I Come From". It explains things very simply. I used this with both of my girls to make sure they know the truth, even though it has nothing to do with the monthly period.
    naruto

Answer by naruto at 2:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• MY DAUGHTER IS 10 AND HAS ALREADY STARTED.A FEW MONTHS LATER THEY HAD THE CLASS THAT EXPLAINED IT ALL TO THEM.THE SCHOOL NURSE WASAWESOME AT EXPLAINING IT TO MY DAUGHTER SO WHEN SHE CAME HOME THERE WAS NOTHING I COULD TELL HER THAT SHE DIDN'T ALL READY KNOW.
    chhill

Answer by chhill at 4:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• She is 10 years old, you don't have much time. Believe it or not, my daughters learned about their periods in school. they were given little books, and supplies. I agree with some of the other moms, find out what she already knows and how accurate the info is. When you have the talk, take some time to take her up to the store and pick out some pads, a young girl's magazine, and a chocolate bar. Have her tuck it away till it is time. I did this and my daughter was actually excited when she got it for the first time.
    jewels922

Answer by jewels922 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2009