• In the Spotlight:

Car seat question,were in the process were looking to buy a car

i only have a graco infant seat,my son is a yr old but i still put him in it cause we didnt have a car.Now what kind of car seat do i get him ????And the car we used didnt have a middle part,i would put the car seat on the side,there was nowhere else to put it.I feel like a terrible mother cause its now where im learning about Erf,I had noooo freaking clue.Someone please educate me.My childs safety is important to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it depends on his weight. if he weighs enough to be forward facing (25 lbs i believe) than you can get a convertable seat, one that faces rear and forward, forward facing he will be sitting up in it. rear facing it would be tilted just like the infant seat. as for sitting him in the middle, the back seat is safest no matter what. if your seat will not fit properly in the middle seat (hangs over doesn't attach correctly etc..) than he is safer on the side anyways. i put my daughter behind me (her seat hangs over the middle seat in my car, and shes about to grow out of it so i don't want to buy a new one) b/c i have a tendency when i'm trying to avoid something to put whatever would hit me on the passenger side if possible ( i figured that out when i put her on the passenger side in the back and i was like omg i keep putting a car coming straight at her!)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• what is ERF? I always had my DD on the passanger side in the back.... They say most accident happen on the drivers side... but I have never heard of erf
    Anonymous

• Here's a good site for car seat questions...
    http://www.seatcheck.org/tips_safety_tips.html
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Erf is extended rear facing momma
    Anonymous

• Definitely get a convertible car seat. These rear face up to 33 or 35 pounds depending on the model, and they forward face 20-40 or 20-65 pounds depending on the model. The seats with lower forward facing weight limits will be outgrown more quickly, around age 4, but they fit in smaller cars better. I don't know what your budget is, but I saw a britax roundabout at albeebaby.com for $159, which is a great deal on that seat. If you wanted something that will last a long time you might try the first years true fit. Oh and for erf you would want to keep him rear facing until the limit of the seat, usually between 2-3 years old.
    xmum

Answer by xmum at 12:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2009