Is it okay to donate blood while breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Health

• Yes, but it is not recommended in the first six months because it can mess up how much milk you make.

I am O+ and always get calls when the blood bank is low. I have been pregnant or breastfeeding for three years, I have been avoiding their calls but finally asked and got that answer.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I always wondered that too!
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 12:10 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My 17 y/o daughter is O+ and was donating every 2 months until she received a letter from the Red Cross that her last donation tested positive for Hepatitis B. Well, she has never had sex and has never done drugs so we were confused and she was scared. Upon reading the letter further, it said she could continue to donate, but if she tested positive a second time then she would not be able to donate ever again. She plans on joining the military after High School and does not need that on her medical record!
    I took her immediately to her physician, who gave her a lab sheet for blood work on EVERYTHING, including HIV. A few days later the docs office called and said everything was negative. We were so relieved!
    I forbade her to donate again, because of the mistake the Red Cross did. All I can think of was that they made a mix up in the mobile that they usually use because she didn't go to the center.
    Be careful!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2009