what age do you let your child walk to school by him/herself

My son is 10 my lil girl is 8 I live bout 10 blocks from the school and my kids always ask me when when when ...after all the things I hear I say 15 years old.

maramp

Asked by maramp at 8:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• 6th grade, we live 3 blocks from school and don't get bussing. There is no way I am driving him 3 blocks. For your kids, I would also wait, that is just a long walk. My son walks with a group of kids. so I am really not that worried. He couldn't walk to elementary school because there were no sidewalks and he had to walk on a country highway. Not safe for him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Our daughter walks to the bus stop it's down the street from our house.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 8:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My boys walk themselves to school. They are in 3rd & 4th grade. Of course, we live on a dead end road. At the end, they walk over a grassy hill & then into the parking lot of the school.
    I was told by someone that I was crazy to let them walk to school alone. Technically, they cannot be alone if they are together. They go together. If one is home sick, I bring the other one to school.
    devtysmom

Answer by devtysmom at 8:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I think that by the age 12-13 should be okay
    Anonymous

• My son gets bussed just down the street BUT I do work at his school so in the morning he goes in with me and after school he takes the bus, I let him walk home from the bus stop at about 8, he has like 3 other kids and their moms walking with him (and I secretly asked them to keep an eye on him) but lol, as far as he was concerned "He was a big boy". Now Junior high....IDK, he has to cross a street with quite a bit of traffic and I get worried. I might have him walk to his Godmothers house and hitch a ride with her.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• HAVE THEM WALK A COUPLE TIMES TO SCHOOL (WITH YOU) TO SEE HOW THEY ARE AFFECTED AND IF THEY FEEL CONFIDENT AT DOING IT LET THEM MY YOUNGEST BOY WAS 8 WHEN HE STARTED WALKING 10 BLOCKS TO SCHOOL
    shaeshae89

Answer by shaeshae89 at 1:53 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• They are a little young to walk 10 blocks. I'd wait till they are about 10 and 12 before letting them walk that far. Isn't there a school bus for kids who live that far from the school?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• 10 blocks?? THat seems a bit far for kids that young. We live right next door to our school. It sits at the back of our neighborhood so my kids walk and I pick them up right there. As soon as they are off school property, they are in my sight.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:28 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i think never....SEX OFFENdErS ARE EVERYWHERE
    Anonymous

• I just couldn't not in a million yrs ~ to many perverts out there ~ my answer would be NEVER ~
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2009