how can i get my 14 mo old to eat?

my daughter is disabled she has been eating 2nd foods from a spoon for about 8 months now... for the past couple of months.... when i try to feed her she turns her head back and fowarth as if she is tellin me no! i cant get her to stop long enough to stick the spoon in her mouth! .... when i finally do get it in there she whines as if she doesnt want to eat! has anyone ever had this problem? what can i do to get her to eat? ive tried everything! please help!

KimberlyAnn85

Asked by KimberlyAnn85 at 8:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, I don't know if this will work based on her disability but whenever I've had toddlers that won't eat I use the snack tray method. I put out 3 or 4 things that might appeal (cereal, cheese, crackers, fruit pieces) and then let them feed themselves when they want to. They still get the right nutrition, just not sitting at the table, and perhaps a good bit more messy, but an easier time of it for both of you! It seems to be a phase with mine, and we go back to the table once they feel they've had enough autonomy. Good luck!
    used2chaos

Answer by used2chaos at 8:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I do the same as the first mom. I give her a spoon and let her make a huge mess while sneeking her a bit here and there. Most of her's do not make it to her mouth. She wants to do everything herself. I hope this helps.
    jepelican

Answer by jepelican at 8:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i would do that but she only has the capibilities of a 4 month old! she cant hold a spoon and she cant bring things to her mouth! i just dont know what to do! on the plus side she still takes a bottle with milk!
    KimberlyAnn85

Answer by KimberlyAnn85 at 8:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Can you put baby rice cereal in her bottle? At least then she would get something a little solid in her.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2009