Temper Tantrums

My daughter will be 1 this June and im having a little trouble with the tantrum throwing. I'll have to take a toy away when it's time for her to eat or when it's something she shouldn't play with like the remote and she screams, cries and kicks her feet. I don't want to teach her that temper tantrums is the way to get what she wants, but I also want to show her that okay, when you act like a big girl, then you're more likely to get what you want. Any advice for this new mommy lol?

Mommy-To-Be18

Asked by Mommy-To-Be18 at 8:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hon wait till she is 2 omg im going threw that now
    Anonymous

• She's so little...she's communicating the best way she knows how - so I would tell her "sorry, we don't play with the remote, I know you're upset..." then just look at her and wait for the temper tantrum to end. She's trying to get you to react, so if you empathize with her frustration, but stand firm on the rules you're setting she will soon understand that tantrums will not get her what she wants. Do not give in for any reason! That will only teach her that if she tries long and hard enough she will wear you down. If the tantrum escalates to an unreasonable level, remove her from the area and distract her with something else, but don't give in, ever. Good luck, and hang in there, it's a testing phase and will soon stop if you hold tough!
    used2chaos

Answer by used2chaos at 9:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i know many parents disagree with what im about to say. let her cry. let her scream and kick and lay down on the ground or jump around. just "ignore" her (watch out of the corner of ur eye to make sure she is always safe) and only do this at home! turn up the tv, music, whatever. she is trying to get more attention. (and no i am not saying she doesnt get enough. im certian you are a great mother!) and she is trying to see how you bend. stay strong and dont give in! if it is meal time, take the toy, let her scream while you eat. she will realize she is hungry and end up eating. it may take a while to begin with but you have got to be strong! much luck!
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 9:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• if you want you can go as far as a star chart. when she listens to you and doesnt throw a temper when she would usually do so, give her a start. when she gets a certian amount let her pick out a new toy, or have ice cream. start small, 2 stars mean a small new toy! when she gets the idea start raising the bar, if you get 4 stars you can have one scoop of ice cream!
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 9:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Well with Andie I simply said to her "ok let me know when you're finished and then we'll talk," when she's done she walks over and acts like a respectful little girl. She was about 1 when she started tantrums and now that she's 2 her tantrums are minimal. I don't know if this will work for your little one bc all children are different, but if you agree with this method you should try it.
    hostlerak

Answer by hostlerak at 10:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• im with F43L34 on that my 4 year old used to bang her head on the wall and bang her feet and scream when she didnt get it her way when she was younger. at first when she did it i attended to her to see wat she wanted and nothing then i saw sumthing on tv about kids wit tantrum and wat to do and the expert lady said ignore them let them work it out till they come to u. tried it and worked. now i have 3 year old that does it and ignore her because there negotiating wit her lol. but at the end they all grow out of it hopefully.
    simsim0425

Answer by simsim0425 at 1:51 AM on Apr. 22, 2009