She's gonna pop at 32 weeks, what do I tell her?

My friend Go-go is 30 weeks preggo. The did a stage 2 ultrasound today on her and told her she is 1 cm dialated and 70 % effaced. The doctor (who isn't that great in my opinion) told her she's got 2 - 2 1/2 weeks before she goes into labor. And instead of Community where she was supposed to deliver they're sending her to Mease Countryside (a MUCH better hospital) because it has a NICU. She is (understandably) terrified about her baby, Jordan, being stuck in NICU. He's currently 3 lb 14 oz. and NICU is usually under 5lbs. and they're giving her steroids and stuff to help him develop more. I tried to reassure her the best I could (my sister and I were born at 31 1and 33 weeks and we're fine) but terror is winning and I want to be as supportive as I can, I just don't know what to say to help her.

ExenoRainbow

Asked by ExenoRainbow at 8:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Wow. That doctor is a crackhead. I've had clients sit out their last month of pregnancy at 4 cm and still deliver at full term. How many centimeters dilated doesn't mean anything about when you will go into labor. There are women who go into labor on time (on their own) without even being dilated at all. She sounds pretty good to me, but I seriously think it's time for a new doctor.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 9:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• .....you can walk around at 1 cm for WEEKS
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 8:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• oh she's got time. i was 3 cm dilated and 70% effaced for about a month before they induced me a week after my due date.
    AddysDogBear

Answer by AddysDogBear at 9:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i think that dr is nuts im sorry
    let her know that just because they say only 2 more weeks that doesnt make it so . i have been 1 cm and 70 % effaced for the past 6 weeks.
    if it does happen just tell her to have faith that her baby will be fine and will be strong.
    i personally would try to find another dr because this one just sounds like he doesnt know anything .
    good luck !!
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I tried from the beginning to get her to switch to another doctor, but she wouldn't because this one was close, female, and her mom picked her. I hate the woman myself, she's mean, and she's (as you've noticed) on crack. Don't know how she got to be a doctor. I refused to see this one. I'd send her to mine but my OBGYN is a guy and that freaks her out :(
    ExenoRainbow

Answer by ExenoRainbow at 9:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• my friend says thanks, and that she feels better :) Reassured. So from both of us, thank you all!! :)
    ExenoRainbow

Answer by ExenoRainbow at 9:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2009