I have lots of questions today sorry lol-DS keeps gaging and choking is he faking it?

He is constantly like holding his breath and coughing like he is choking...he never is and is always fine it seems but why is he doing this? Is it a game to him? I try ignoring it but it scares me cause sometimes he does choke! (15 months)

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he might be. my daughter (16 months) does the same thing and we figured out that she likes the attention she gets (mom running over and being all attentive). she also sticks her fingers/hand down her throat (molars are coming in) and that makes her gag too.
    AddysDogBear

Answer by AddysDogBear at 9:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• O our son did this too... He still 'coughs' really odd sounding coughs sometimes. Our son does it for attention. We figured this out because for a few times when he called us we would respond immediatly and he stopped 'choking' then when he called us we would ignore him and he would 'choke' He did it anytime he wasn't getting the amount of 'attention' and wanted all eyes on him. It is really hard to explain though when your in public and your son starts "choking" and I would just look over at him and sternly say "You stop that!" People yelled at me more than once about "OMG HE"S CHOKING" and try to run to him. My MIL actually snatched him up and shoved her fingers down his throat yelling about what a POS mom I was for ignoring him. I just rolled my eyes took my son and said "Thanks for over reacting now you've gone and scared him" lol
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 9:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2009