is it ok to have a beer when breastfeeding

brodriguez99

Asked by brodriguez99 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 1 only
    Anonymous

• Yep.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If you choose to drink, drink it just after you nurse rather than just before because it can pass through your milk to your baby.
    AddysDogBear

Answer by AddysDogBear at 9:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• should I have to wait so many hours
    brodriguez99

Answer by brodriguez99 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• yes you can have one.... any more than that and you'll need to refrain from nursing for a few hours to let the alcohol get out of your system
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I have read that if you're going to have a drink to do so right after you nurse that way. The article was about a toast at a wedding with champaign though.
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 9:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yes you can have one. The alcohol takes about 45 minutes to go into the milk. So if you want a beer feed your baby then drink a beer. Don't breastfeed for two and a half hours after the beer.

Enjoy your beer...I think I may have a drink too. :)
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yes, it is safe. But you need to keep it at only 1 per day. It's also supposed to help with you relaxing enough to produce enough milk for your baby. And no, you don't have to wait until the alchohol is out of your system. The beer will through your entire system and by the time it gets to your milk it will be gone. Heck, you can even drink a few sips even WHILE you are feeding your baby! It does no harm. Whatever you feel is safe for your baby. :)
    ReginaGallo

Answer by ReginaGallo at 9:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Well I don't know about whether or not it is safe! But have you saw these strips at Baby's R Us that tests your breastmilk for alcohol??? I wonder if they work
    hostlerak

Answer by hostlerak at 9:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My milk did not come in very much when I gave birth to my son which was so disappointing to me cause i really wanted to breastfeed, but a nurse I worked with suggested i drink a beer. She said it would help my milk come in more and that it worked for her. Sadly what worked for her did not work for me but one beer won't hurt your baby just wait awhile after before you breastfeed.
    realmis

Answer by realmis at 9:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2009