What do think of this quote? This is what the ......

man with his 2-year old was trying to say to the CNN reporter.
I say, the earth belongs to each of these generations during its course, fully and in its own right. The second generation receives it clear of the debts and incumbrances of the first, the third of the second, and so on. For if the first could charge it with a debt, then the earth would belong to the dead and not to tI he living generation. Then, no generation can contract debts greater than may be paid during the course of its own existence.
Letter to James Madison (6 September 1789) ME 7:455, Papers 15:393

gammie

Asked by gammie at 9:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• SOMEBODY READ THAT TO OBAMA & HIS DEMOCRATS BAFOONS!!!
    Anonymous

• Very wise men those founding fathers.............:)
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• No, we're WAYYYYYYYYYY more sophisticated than they were!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• James Madison was a smart guy.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I completely agree with the quote and the first anon. *watchs as ppl scrape off their Obama-Biden stickers* lol.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 11:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I agree with it. Reminds me of another quote I once read that states we did not inherit the earth from our parents, we are borrowing it from our children. Very fitting for our country as well, I think.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:21 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Very wise.....
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 12:34 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I agree with those quotes, but then again, I also agree with the quote that says "In a Democracy, for good or ill, the people get the government they deserve."

While I, as an individual, don't like a lot of things that are happening now, I have to admit that we, as a society, brought it on ourselves, with our choices (long term, this is not an Obama or a Bush bash) in government, and with what we have put up with as far as choices they've made, yet we keep voting for the same people in Congress over and over and over...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:51 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I like what sailorwifenmom says. The thing that gets me is that in the last 90 days we have seen too much change. It's like that saying about pregnancy, it took nine months to put the weight on, it is going to take nine months to lose it. I think that if change in going to happen it can't be crammed down our throats. It needs to come slowly because the problem in our country and the problems in our society didn't happen over night. With this change, our civil liberties should not be jeopardized, but a solution should be made with full thought not a 2 hour lunch break. The quote is marvelous! It should be widely distributed so that others can partake from its wisdom.

etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 3:17 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I'm just curious though- if change should be slow- than what do all the families who have someone that was laid off in the current declining economy and had their house foreclosed on because food for their children was more important than a mortgage bill- what do those families do while you slowly wait for change? I agree with sailorwifemom- we did this to ourselves. We wanted everything now and wanted everything without paying anything back for so long that WE hurt our economy. And to try to help all the people who desperately need help, Change has to be faster than most are comfortable with. But we don't have time for it to take long, too many need help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Apr. 22, 2009