What is the difference between pre-k and headstart?

My oldest is starting Pre-k next year, and I am trying decide where to send her. I know I don't want her going to school in the town I live in for very long. The education system isn't good, the town has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the state, and my SIL is a 3rd grade teacher here and tells stories of kids in her class getting in trouble for sexual harassment. My other SIL sends her kids to school in the next town over, and has me thinking of sending dd to school with her kids. Here pre-k is through headstart, and in the town over it isn't so is there any difference in the two besides qualifying?

LolosMom

Asked by LolosMom at 9:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think it's the same thing...you have to have a low income to qualify.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• no the child has to qualify for the program though. and in most areas that means not money wise, but delays or handicaps in the child. ex. my daughter has a severe speech delay so she qualifies to start the preschool head start program next school year.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I think they are the same thing, but one is federally funded and is free. The other you have to pay for... right now I can't remember which one is which. The free one isn't based on income, but it is a first come first served kinda deal and around here the free ones fill up really fast!.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My kids qualified by income through a day care. But if you went through the elementary school I'm not sure if you can go regardless of income.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My town offers both. But pre-k is at the primary school and you have to be tested to get in. To get into headstart you have to have a low income. At least that's the way it is here.
    originalzademom

Answer by originalzademom at 9:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Our county has both within the same classroom. Some of the kids in the preschool class have qualified as having a low income set by Head Start. Some of the kids are overincome and fill a pre-k slot. Still others qualify under the preschool special needs area if they have delays in two or more areas.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 1:03 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i believe they are the same. i agree wit a few moms that replied b4 me but head start i think is for children who are 3 year of age and pre-k is for kids who are 4 and 5 yr old kids who dont get to go to kindergarten because of the birthdays.also both can be or are free i guess depends on ur town.
    simsim0425

Answer by simsim0425 at 1:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Same basically. Headstart is based on income but they do have to allow a certain percentage of "over income" and disabled students (those with IEP's) Headstart is for 4 year olds but most will have a certain number of slots for 3 year olds.

Pre-k is basically for all kids and depending on how/who is running it, it's usually by the school district and as long as you live in that district and there are enough openings (limited class sizes) everyone gets in no matter what.

Here they are two different things.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:04 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Same thing, different income brackets.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2009