Do you believe a parent should turn their back on their teen when they become pregnant or get a girl pregnant?

Nothing is personal about this question I'm just curious to hear others opinions.

Personally I would never turn my back on my child when in a time of need but others may feel differently for different reasons. Please don't bash each other for your opinions, this is strictly to hear different sides.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You need to suport you kids no matter what they do. You bring them into this world and raise them the best yo ucan and if they happen to make a mistake or so at the time you think it may be a mistake it maybe the best thing that ever happened. We all have a destiny and sometimes it may not always be the way we think it should be but maybe they are having this child now because something may not let them have that baby lateron in lifr. All things happen for a reason and I truely belive it, if I would not have has my son when I did i never would have gotten to have him because for many health reasona now I can't have anymore kids.
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• No way, if your child got pregnant, it is because of something that you didn't teach him or her. So you have to deal with it, and take care of your child... I would never, ever turn my back on my dd. My mom gave me several reasons why she would disown me growing up, I do not think that is acceptable, and I would never want to disown my child no matter what! I just want to educate her on all the important things, and hope that she makes the right choices, if she doesn't then I would totally feel like it is something that I did wrong. :( still have a long way to go before I get to that point though, THANK GOD!!!
    Anonymous

• never. if you were to do that, what are the chances they will be able to do what is best for them and your grandchild? i would not be happy, but i would help my daughter as much as i could when it came to finances and day care so she could finish high school, i would make her get a part time job, so she can contribute to the cost of raising her child. and if it was my son (who will be here soon) i would make him get a job to pay child support, make sure he has chances to be around his baby, make sure that the mother of his child has the help she needs day care wise so they can both finish school. i just can't imagine turning my back. not only are you turning your back on your child, but on your innocent grandchild as well
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• To raise your children with the idea that you will always be there for them, then end up turning your back on them when they need you the most is twisted.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 10:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I don't think I could ever turn my back on my children. I would hope to have raised them better then that. (I should't say better.. But I can't think of the right word..) More responsibly. Thats it. But I would definetly help. I remember what happened to kids when I was in high school and they got pregnant or got someone pregnant. gosh I always thought where are there parents? It would be difficult but I would help my children.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 10:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I would not turn my back but they would be getting a job while going to school and I would watch the baby while they work or are at school and then they are on their own. If they make an adult decision to have sex then they need to raise their child and do the things they need to do in order for their child to have a good life and that includes them being financially responsible for their child and educated.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I agree with above posts, I would feel like it were something I didnt teach my kids. Had it happened.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 10:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Never
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• no that is still YOUR baby she has just made some bad choices and needs some support.. i cant see how anyone in their right minds could turn their child away in that position...
    brittanybell

Answer by brittanybell at 11:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If you don't want to be in the life of your grandchild...sure!

Seriously, there is no point in your child's life where they will need you MORE than when they are having a baby, especially if they are still a baby themselves. Turning your back on them is also turning your back on an innocent baby. Does this mean that you cannot express your dissapointment and make a demand that they help care for and support themselves and refuse to completely support them on their own? No. If I had a teenager that got pregnant, they would pull their weight around the house, get an education AND work. My house, my rules. I think some teens that are considering getting pregnant forget that their parents support them (usually support them rather) and that having a child is giving your parents another child to additionally support. That's not fair to your parents.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2009