really bad diaper rash

my daughter is 3 potty training well shes had almost diahrehea for the past couple of days and she got a horrible diaper rash today. the kind where she screams bloody murder when i put her in the bath, or when i put ointment on it (i use boudreaux's). i gave her about half her normal dose of motrin in her nightly cup of milk. but shes still whimpering that her butt hurts. there are no blisters, just very red and normally her rashes go away in less than a day, so it should be gone when she gets up in the a.m., i'm more concerned with her being comfy to sleep. any ideas??

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 10:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Hemorrhoid ointment. Sounds nuts, I know. It makes the pain go away and aids with the inflammation. Just smear a thin coat over her rash like you would a rash ointment.
    Hope she gets to feeling better soon!
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 10:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Try leaving her panties or diaper off so the air can get to it. You can try maalox mixed with the rash cream or brown flour. Soak her in a tub of warm water with vinegar to take the sting out 2 times a day. You can also use vagisil.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Put some vaseline on her hiney to keep moisture away from the rash while she sleeps. Then tomorrow, go by your pharmacy and ask for Resinol. It's behind the counter, but you don't need an Rx for it. It's pretty inexpensive too. It clears up my DDs in 1 use most of the time. Also, use a cool damp cloth to wipe her instead of wipes and also cooler water in the bath to help her bottom not hurt.
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 10:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• YES! get a fan and blow it in her private... a blow dryer on cool will work too... I'm not kidding it will actually help heel the rash too

I am assuming you do not have oxygen at home... but if you have anyone on oxygen in your family go see them and blow oxygen on it (or if you make any trips to a hospital same thing ask them for tubing and stick it turned on high in her uderwear
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• its not so much the pain when changing, its she is in pain right now. she is in bed, with ointment on it (boudreux's butt paste clears hers up in a day so i know it will be gone tomorrow) and a overnight pull up, can't let her wear regular panties to sleep b/c she still doesn't wake up all the time to go potty. its what i can do for her right now to help her sleep? like i said i gave her some motrin hoping that would work but so far doesn't seem to be....
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I swear this will work. My LO had a rash as a new born and they gave me a prescription diaper ointment for it. It worked like nothing I have ever seen...and he was my fifth child so I have seen my share of diaper rash. It is now over the counter and no mom should ever be without it. Pinxalve...pronounced Pink Salve. You have to ask the pharmacist for it but it you don't need a script. Please please get some you will be amazed!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Hemorrhoid ointment works right now. Use it on my own kids if need be. I found it in a book of Grandma's Home Remedies (or something similar in name.)
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 10:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I've been using Desitin cream since my 4-year old girl started potty training at 2. It usually works. But then her rash is usually not as bad as you described though.
    wanita61

Answer by wanita61 at 1:17 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Stop the milk while she has diarrhea. Give her water instead. Good luck, it's so hard to see them in pain.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:15 AM on Apr. 22, 2009