Is it normal for a healthy caucasian baby to have purple feet only hours after birth?

When my son was born he was very blue. Although I brought this to nurses attention only a few hours after he was born, they told me it was normal. It did not seem normal to me because his feet were so deeply purple that they looked like a black babies feet.

My daughter is malato and her feet looked nothing like this.

I am so confused. It turned out that my son was far from healthy and he passed a few days later.

So is their truth to a healthy caucasion baby having purple feet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Their color should go to light pink within the first 2 hours. Purple feet mean lack of oxygen in the blood for one reason or another and poor circulation. I am sorry to hear about your baby and if I were you I would get a wrongful death lawsuit going. I know money won't bring your baby back or make it easier but it will make them more cautious when it happens again and if one lawsuit can save a baby its worth it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Normal. And still normal that they stay pretty purple for a few weeks.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• to an extent, my son had purple feet for a couple hours. I believe due to circulation. But it went away after in one right away then lasted in the other for a couple hours.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 10:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• baby's can have bluish color to there hands and feet for a short period after birht (no more then 4 hours) it is called Acrocyanosis it is normal in any race but like I said goes away (very often before the 2nd APGAR score)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I have been around many white new born's and have never seen purple feet after a few hours. Maybe a light purple if they are cold but never a dark purple.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I am so sorry to hear about your baby. My heart goes out to you.

All 3 of my babies had purple feet that changed to a light blueish color several hours later. My younget son had purple feet for a few days afterwards. When he was born they thought he had problems (he only scored a 3 on his first APGAR and a 6 on the 2nd one). He was in NICU for a week and nothing came of it. He ended up being healthy.

What reason did they give as to why your baby passed away?
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 10:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• It's normal to have purple feet when they are little. But what reasons did they give that he passed away?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• it's totally normal.
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 4:28 AM on Apr. 23, 2009