so hyper

I have 3 kids and 1 on the way and a 5 month old dog that goes crazy everytime it inside what can I do to make it calm and good .. trying to get this taken care of befor the babys here?????????

choppergrl2303

Asked by choppergrl2303 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Pets

• Put it on a leash and train it. I know it sounds crazy but if the dog is inside keep it on the leash and if it acts up tug on the leash and tell it no, down, sit. Try obedience classes as well. Petco and those places offer it fairly cheap. Make sure its getting good exercise outside daily.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Exercise. And training. Dogs get hyperactive and destructive when they aren't exercised enough... i've also heard getting them fixed calms them down a bit.
    Charlies_mom

Answer by Charlies_mom at 1:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Get the dog Spayed or Neutered if its not already. Work on finding a training class, and walk , walk walk , a tired dog is a well behaved dog. Your Local American Kennel Club, ASPCA or Humane Society are excellent resources for training classes if they offer them , or for locating training classes in your local area. Dogs that are untrained and under exercised and under stimulated mentally misbehave just like children who are left to their own devices.
    Mom2PunkRockers

Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 9:34 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• The others are right! I had a hyper dog and once I began training him, he calmed down when inside. I taught mine to fetch a tennis ball and he even wanted that tennis ball after he went blind! I also kept a treat bag on me at all times to use for when I saw my dog was doing what I asked him to do, talk about positive reinforcement working like a charm! You have to be consistent though and not allow the kids to tease the dog one bit. Good luck!
    pinkcalla721

Answer by pinkcalla721 at 12:50 AM on May. 11, 2009