Am I the only mother who has screamed the first time I tried to breastfeed?

When the nurse brought my baby to me to breastfeed for the first time after birth, I squealled when he latched on. I was not expecting it to feel like that!

The nurse looked at me concerned and asked me what was wrong. I replied, "I think he bit me!" She only laughed and said that it should feel like that the first time, but I will get used to it.

Am I the only one that felt this way and am I the only one who has ever squealled in shock over this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, you are not alone. The nurses in the hospital nicknamed my daugher "baracuda". Every time I tried to feed her, I ended up sobbing in pain.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Just as long as it isn't hurting the whole time you are nursing you should be fine. You were probably just shocked.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 10:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• nope. my daughter bit me too! and lactation consultant confirmed that she was biting and not nursing properly. but yeah, we had to teach her to nurse properly.
    AddysDogBear

Answer by AddysDogBear at 10:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yes, it hurt like a son of a beotch! But it gets better
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• lol no you are not. It is an odd sensation but you will get use to it. Try to think of it as a baby bitting you..but rather a your baby getting mommy's best food! The latch shouldnt hurt one bit! Your nipples will need to do a little toughing up but it should be crazy painful!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• It didn't hurt for me. But after about four days my nipples blistered and were so engourged. That hurt so bad. Worse then labor I think. oww. Hes been going a strong 13 months so far tho. and its going great. He did bite me once, with teeth, and put a hole in my nipple. ahh that hurt really bad to until it healed. Thats the crappy part, is you gotta keep feeding even through all the pain. errg. lol.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I didn't scream or squeal, but lansonlin became my best friend along with those soothie gel pads!!!
    Anonymous

• OMG - no you are not the first. Ater I had my last bb I was in hos. and trying to feed her and I called for a nurse (YELLED) I mean = "I am not dong this anymore! Get me a bottle" HA!HA!
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 10:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Whenever you think you're the only one...it's pretty much a guarantee you're NOT. I've met very few women who DIDN'T screech to start with.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I will tell you my real experience when my first one born i tried to feed him the problem was i got small nipples so the baby was not able to suck the milk properly, doctor said may be you can feed with him bottle i said no i want to give the best to my kid so i tried to feed him again and again .....for one month i gone through lots of pain even sometime blood will come out he will bite and remove the skin too he is just a baby what he can do i just watch him when he sucks milk it pains a lot but you what i did i think at that time how i am turning my blood in to milk for him to reduce his hunger, that time all the pain had vanished felt happy.
    Its happens but when you know you are giving the best to them you will forget everything and enjoy each and every feeding, and you will get used to it. I breast fed him for 2 and half years.
    harjohan

Answer by harjohan at 10:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2009