What would you do ? IF you find your Self always tired and down in the dumps ?

If you are always tired, and seem down and depressed. What would you do ? I dont know if its Depression or what. But the last few months I have been so tired. And cant seem to get anything done. And thats not like me at all. I am the one who is always doing something. So please I need advice.

MOMofTwo_99_00

Asked by MOMofTwo_99_00 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Health

• I would probably do a mix of everything. If you are also at a higher weight and can't lose, checking your thyroid might explain both the weight and depression.

Diet and exercise and getting out of the house (ideally to some sun) help everything. There are even special light bulbs that can make your house seem more sun-like when you can't be outside.

Finally, if all these thigns don't help significantly within a couple weeks, I'd go in and discuss with your doctor (well, you should really bring it up with the thyroid check) and see if you need some medications to get your brain chemicals balanced, either temporarily or long term.

It's very brave of you to get information and help to start working on this for yourself and your family!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:13 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Get some you time and call your doctor. Might just need a low dose of antidep. meds. :) GL.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 10:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I went through the same thing shortly after DD was born. I went to therapy for about a year. No antidepressants, I feel so much better. And much more productive.
    Anonymous

• Force yourself to get all prettied up...do your hair makeup wear something you feel good in and jus go out and do something even if you window shop at the mall. Talk to people be nice and they will be nice back and that makes you feel good in the end...I always get like that from time to time..just being a mom I think...you need to take time out for yourself!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• you're probably dysthymic, its mild depression.... talk to a counselor :]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 10:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Get evaluated by your doctor or a counselor. I went on Zoloft and counseling and it helped a lot. I know have anxiety and panic attacks and take Xanax as needed. I also try to have "me time". I have certain friends I can talk to to help me out. I have one in particular that is the only person who can talk me out of a panic attack. Having someone to talk to is a big help.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• exercise always lifts my spirits!or hugging onto Daniel for dear life!
    tracy20

Answer by tracy20 at 7:26 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I second the exercise and would like to add get outside!! Take some me time and go for a walk in the park before going to drugs. Doctors are really drug happy when it comes to someone who is in a funk. Depression is another beast altogether. it's been proven that lack of sunshine can put you into a horrid mood and cause things like mood swings, fatigue etc. I get like that too if I haven't been outside in a while
    rowansmum

Answer by rowansmum at 8:02 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• It could be anemia or a thyroid problem and not depression. Have your doctor run a blood test. Women often get diagnosed with depression when it's actually a medical problem. If you aren't anemic, then it is likely depression. Are you in a climate that has a late spring? If so, try a few minutes in a tanning booth each day for a while. Google the body blues and take the vitamins they recommend. If that doesn't work, then you may need medication to feel right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• you should get your thyroid checked, that really makes a difference. I use to be able to get a good nights sleep but an hour after I woke up I was dog tired again and would go back to sleep for 3 to 4 hours. My OB dr. checked and mine was low so he put me on a low dose of synthroid. He also told me that a low thyroid often mimmicks depression. And Like you I like to get things done, I'm not an idle person so I know how you feel. Do some research on the internet about Low Thyroid conditions. And I really hope this helps out.
    mackk

Answer by mackk at 8:17 AM on Apr. 22, 2009