if the father doesnt want to be in baby's life before s/he's born

can you give baby any last name you want? because i like the last name Dedalus after my new literary boyfriend Stephen Dedalus (from James Joyce's Ulyssus) :>

i mean TECHNICALLY you can right? im not gonna lie if i was a single mom whose baby didnt have a dad i may or may not consider it :>

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think you can. Thats what I was told anyways. lol.

Answer by LucasMama08 at 10:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My daughter has my last name and not my husbands. You can name the baby whatever you want even if he is or isn't on the birth certificate.

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• haha thanks for the honest answers, i said if the father wasnt in their life because im sure no man in their right mind would let their child have a different last name than either his or hers :p

• you can give the baby even your last name even if you are married the baby never actually has to have the fathers name....

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My son has my last name and his father is on the birth certificate. You can name your child whatever you want. I didn't give the father a choice, I knew I would be raising my son on my own and he wouldn't be around. I also knew we would NEVER be together again.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• yes you can. i did it.

Answer by BEXi at 11:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• lexi what last name did you give your child? one that wasnt yours or the fathers?

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2009