In what ways do you think sexual child abuse affects adulthood?

Do you have any links or any info at all?
Do you think it does affect a person as they are an adult?
How about with there own children?
with the relationships they have with SO or husbands?
The relationship they have with other people?
Or with themselves?
Trust issues?
anything?

san-1

Asked by san-1 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• I can't deny that I've been affected. But I didn't want to become what I considered crippled by it either. I've read many a self help book on this and I've never seen a therapist, although I do suggest that others do so if they can. I practice self examination, in that I look at my reactions and examine them for the root cause and determine if that response is appropriate or not. If it's not, I tackle it to change my reaction. I've had a lot of success doing that and it's still on going. I'm a stronger person for what I've gone through. I know my father is one sick man. He's done a lot of damage to my family. I carry no guilt as it's all his. I refuse to carry guilt over his actions.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I don't have any links on info, but here's my thoughts:
    I think it does affect a person as an adult. There are some things that the mind will not forget, ever.
    For some they will be over protective of their kids worried about something happening to them, and sometimes it flips them in the other direction.
    It does have an affect on their future relationships. They may have flashbacks or just have times that it hits them hard.
    I think that likely they will be more gaurded with the situations they find themselves in and it will be harder for them to relax around others, then again they could become reckless with it.
    It will leave a mental affect on them. Some worse than others
    Anonymous

• I'm sure its different for everyone. I was molested at 16 (not exactly a child but still young). I'm 24 now. I wouldnt say that its something that affects my everyday life or anything but I think about it. For a long time it changed how i thought about myself, not so much anymore but sometimes. I think for me it changed the way i start out relationships (i was not in a relationship with the man who molested me though) I guess  i'm less trusting and find myself wondering if they are just in it for the sex. Other people? no, not really again probably just less trusting of males in general. My child? i wouldnt say that it affects my relationship with my son at all other than i am probably a little over protective of him.

Anonymous

• all of the above and it can cause personality disorders

Answer by admckenzie at 11:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• http://www.prevent-abuse-now.com/stats.htm#Impact

EscVelocity

Answer by EscVelocity at 2:09 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• For me it still affects me to this day and I'm 37 yrs old. It made me think sex was dirty for a long time. I've had 3 relationships in my life and it has affected each one. The flash backs are horrible. My husband is very understanding about it so there is never any pressure from him. My abuser is my foster brother and I have no relationship with him. It has afftected my relationship with the whole family because he is a blood relative and I am not. I have had to sever all ties with them. I suffer from anxiety and depression and have for years. Being around the family makes it worse so I have no contact with any of them besides my aunt and her family.
    August past I was sexually assaulted at work by a co- worker and it sent me over the edge. I was unable to work for the last 2 months before the business moved to the U.S. Work did nothing so I filed charges. He was arrested, pled guilty and can't come near me for one year.
    canadiangirl5

Answer by canadiangirl5 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• It has affected the way I raise my son. It was hard going back to work after he was born. It's hard trusting anyone to watch him....even family. He is now 15 so I am more relaxed about him. I struggle when I'm around males I don't know. I have trust issues with men but I'm hoping with more therapy it will change.
    canadiangirl5

Answer by canadiangirl5 at 10:48 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I was sexually abused as a child (7-8) and again by my brother-in-law when I was 13. Yes, it greatly affected me. When I was a teenager, I got into a lot of trouble, trying to prove I wasn't different. I took crazy chances because I was so afraid, I felt I had to overcome my fears. Like Canadiangirl5 said, the flashbacks are horrible. But my husband has also been loving and understanding, and I haven't had many problems since we've been together. It has created trust issues. I am extremely uncomfortable around any males that I don't know, and when in relationships, I almost always said yes because I was afraid if I'd say no, then I'd just be forced. I haven't had any therapy, although my husband said he'd go with me if I ever wanted to. We don't have any children, but I already know that I'm going to be paranoid leaving our kids with anyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I was raped and molested at age 12 till 14 by my bio father. But I'm one stubborn cuss and was determined from the day I said no to not let it affect me, that I would battle it. I haven't full succeed at that endeavor but I feel that I've overcome a great deal. I've dealt with anger issues directed at him and uncontrolled anger due to stress. I've had to deal with repressed memories and flashbacks.They are not often anymore. I've had trust issues with people but to be fair I've always had that. I do know that I'm always on the look out for warning signs with my dd. Hyper vigilante. I don't let my dd near people I can't reasonable trust. With my dh, he's had to learn to stay off of triggers that bring flashbacks. And I've learned to eliminate those triggers too. He's learned to be extra patient with me over this. I don't have problems being around other men, I'm not that defenseless child anymore. I can and have whipped ass.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2009