How can I get my daughter to be more organized

Please I need help!!! I can't take it anymore! My 10 yr old daughter is so messy with her room and her self, I dont know what else to do, she wears the same clothes like three days in a row, I have to tell her to jump in the shower atleast 3 or 4 times, she wont wear deodorant(she needs it), and she refuses ro untangle her hair and cries when I try to do it. I have found old food in her room, dirty clothes all over, toys, old school papers, dog poop, used toilet papers, you name it she has it!!! I have tried talking to her girl to girl, taking away the things she likes, not letting her go out side, and kicking her out of her room for days, I don't know what else to do, I am not the type that hits, since I was beaten as a child, so thats not an option......... but Please any ideas will help.

Winter81

Asked by Winter81 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Of course no hitting...I would try to find out why she feels she needs to be this way. She probably just doesnt care about the things around her. Does she get the things that she wants? Make her EARN the money to buy her own things, she wont ruin them then. She into boys yet? Probably looking at this age I would let her in on how boys dont dig smelly girls nor the ratty hair. I would take her to get it cut the way she wants so it isnt a problem! Maybe take her out for a girls day get her primped and pampered? GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I also have a 10 yr old girl who is pretty much the same way. I have begun a chore chart with everything on it: homework, chores, clean room, shower, brush teeth, etc. At the end of the day when it is time for bed we go over everything that she has completed. For everything done she gets a sticker in that box, if it's not done no sticker. Then at the end of the week if she has stickers in all the boxes she gets to pick something to do, Go to a movie, buy something(give spending limit), and lately she likes to go with her grandma to get a pedicure. This has helped me out with all of my kids. Hope this helps.
    JennClink7

Answer by JennClink7 at 1:11 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Are you organized? If not, do it together.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• American Girl makes some good books that speak to girls in a way to help them understand. They have one called Clutter Control - might be worth a try  http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?node=13&page=4 

momjs

Answer by momjs at 12:41 AM on Apr. 24, 2009