PLEASE HELP!! I need to quit smoking, but how?

I have tried what I thought everything to quit smoking, but I am having such a hard time. How did other mothers do it?

I quit when I was pregnant with my son, I was so happy that I felt I didn't need it ne more and I wanted to breastfeed. I didn't want that in my son's system.

He passed away and I have major depressive issues, and smoking seems to be the only thing that really helps. I am pregnant again and I want what I feel is best for my child, which I believe is to quit completely.

I am down to four cigs a day which is a major stretch for me, but I can't seem to get passed there. I won't go to counseling because I have had bad experiences with this in the past. How can I quit in a healthy natural way for my child??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I am a pack a day smoker that has to quit as well. When I first found out i was pregnant, I quit cold turkey and did great with no cigs at all for about a week...then when my boyfriend came to live with me we started getting in stupid fights, and he's a smoker, so it's hard to stay away. For the past couple days I've been smoking 2 or 3 a day. I tell myself it's better to have a cig here and there than to be extremely stressed. But we DO HAVE TO QUIT and the sooner the better. What helps me is going on a walk to cool down when I feel stressed. I'm only 6 weeks along, and the sooner you quit the better, especially if you're still under 3 months. So try walking or any exercise. To me the whole gum things doesnt work, but moving around does. Best of luck to you and your baby <3
    tattoomommy85

Answer by tattoomommy85 at 11:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• The morning sickness usually MADE me quit ( I wanted to it just helped)....go cold turkey and keep your hands busy or something. Afetr I had my last I started smoking again but I quit (again) about a yr and a half ago....I just baked everything I could think of and that seemed to help me....good luck. QUIT FOR THE BABY
    Anonymous

• Set a date to quit, and no matter what, on that date, throw out all things that remind you of smoking. It takes 2 days for the nicotine to get out of your system completely, after that you are no longer "withdrawing" from the nicotine, your just going to be "coping" with the habit. Find alternatives to help with the habit. Keep your hands busy. Try gum or hard candy in place of cigs. Also, try carrot stix or celery, those are healthy options. And most importantly, remember that your are doing this for your baby.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• First off, I am so sorry for the loss of your baby. I can't imagine the pain of that & my heart goes out to you. My Mom quit cold turkey after 50+ years of smoking. She set a date & planned her cigs down to the last one. She told me that the hardest thing for her was breaking her habit. For example, she would get up every morning, get ready for the day, then have a cup of coffee, read the paper, & smoke a few. She had to change that habit to stick with the not smoking. Your baby needs you to do this for him/her. Go online & find a picture of a baby that is the same gestational age as yours, that way you will have a visual image of what your baby is like. Take up knitting or quilting or scrapbooking & make something for your new baby. Read baby books or positive stories. Talk to your Dr or midwife about safe therapies for depression as well. Oh, be careful on the gum thing--sugar free can mess up your digestion.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I would say that google-ing the problem and self-educating yourself on how endanger your baby could be if you don't quit could actually contribute a lot especially since your mood is already set on quitting. I would rather made a radical cut (to nada zero smokes) rather than trying to decreasing. The idea with setting a final date is brilliant!
    Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy!
    polkamama

Answer by polkamama at 12:26 AM on Apr. 22, 2009