If you had a vaginal delivery with an epidural...

how much pain are you in once the epi wears off? What about a day or two later? Do you feel pain for a while afterward? Just curious...

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I felt pain for 6months after alot when it was cold..I hated it that when the baby was born i could not move til like 5 hours later...I'm prego now im doing it natural!!
    rissa1789

Answer by rissa1789 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• you had vaginal pain 6 months after birth??
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I had an epi with both my kids and the worst part was when the babies head was crowning, the dr says the epi doesn't really work at that point but after my kids were out it was great. The only pain you really have after is burning when you urinate but that only last a couple days to a week and I think it's worth it :) I just had my last 11 months ago so it's still pretty fresh in my mind and i'm gonna do it again in 9 months yay lol :)
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I NEVER want an epidural again! It was against my better judgment to get it and I'm regretting it now. My son is almost 3 months old and I still have pain in my back where they put the needle in! I went all natural with my first, definitely prefer it, looking at the long run of things.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I had pain in my arms and legs from pulling up/pushing so hard. That lasted for weeks and my muscles felt fatigued for weeks too. It's not mindnumbing pain or anything. It's just a dull, throbbing, annoying pain.

Your vagina is a little sore afterward but the spray they give you helps with that. The soreness isn't as bad as each day passes really.

The contractions you'll have afterward are a bit uncomfortable, especially when you're BFing (if you BF) because BFing causes your uterus to contract and helps you recover faster. Again, wasn't awful.

They'll give you medicine for pain and inflamation (orally) if you choose, while you're recovering.

Other than that, I had no pain. I was up, showered, dressed and walking just an hour or two after delivering.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I had one but it came out after an hour. I was a little sore for about 4 days but wanted sex. You will feel the birth no matter what it just takes the pain out of the contractions. I could still feel mine but not as strong. It depends on your pain tolerance how long or how bad you think it is. I felt fine within a few hours and my pelvic bone was sore as my was vagina for a few days.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• OMG yes my epi wore off right before i started pushing it was the most painful thing ever now i kno why god chose women to have the babys instead of men... lol and the injection spot hurt for a while afterward i had lower back pain but i am having one with this baby to because if i would have had to go through all those contractions without any rest i wouldnt have been able to push her out..
    brittanybell

Answer by brittanybell at 11:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i couldnt walk for 14 hours, annoying but not painful. as for the birth, i didnt feel anything. other than that i guess i was in pain for about a week maybe a little more, not enough pain to take the painkillers though.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My son is now 5 months and he is my first baby. My epidural never really worked all that well so labor WAS painful but I think the OP was referring to the pain after delivery?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I had achiness for about two weeks after birth but no big deal. I had achiness at the epidural site and after the episiotomy for months but nothing that stayed forever. Everything went away after four or five month mark. I had an epidural both times and the second time, no problem. I'd do it again.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2009