This JUST Happened. Can I Get Some Feedback?

I just got back from the 24 hour CVS down the street from me. I have some really bad heartburn (I had hot wings for dinner) so I ran out to grab some tums and pepto. Its 11:02pm now, so it was probably 10:30 when I was at the store and this older lady is staring at me. I'm totally convinced I have something hanging out of my nose, so I'm trying to subtly wipe at it and finally she says, "I can't believe your mother let you out of the house dressed like that!"

Ok, first of all, I'm 21, live with my husband and son...and my mother passed away when I was 8...so she hasn't been letting me out of the house for some time anyway! But here's what I was wearing: PJ bottoms with the Carolina Panthers' logo on it and a grey t-shirt and flip flops. I mean, it wasn't revealing or anything! I'm not going to dress to the nines because I'm going out to get Pepto.

What do ya think, ladies? Was I really dressed inappropriately?

metalhealthmama

Asked by metalhealthmama at 11:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• no but older women (especially, men not so much if they don't know you) seem to have no filter when it comes to what they think is respectable. i go to my grocery store in the middle of the day dressed similar if i'm just getting milk or something quick. i would have just said well i need some medicine so i came to get it and walked off. or not said anything at all
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• lol you said "elderly" that was the problem with her right there...dont fret it I'm 21 too and I see tons of OLD people dressing like that EVERYDAY! lol
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• LOL! I always dress like that if I can get away with it.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• You should have mooned her and asked if she thought that made it more acceptable.

lols
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Lol. I wish she had seen the couple outside that prompted my other question about PDAs. She probably would have had a heart attack!
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 11:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Not at all, just those older women think that have to get all dolled up to run out. They never did that thing back in the day... times are changing!!! They'll figure it out eventually.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 11:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• PFFFT....my god. You should have just looked her up and down and said something like "well, next time i need fashion tips i'll come to the hunched back, judgemental old cow judging me for picking up something from the shops, that okay with you?!"
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 11:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i dont like when people go out in public in their pj's but at night its fine..but like if its like noon or 1pm and their going out grocery shopping in PJ's then i find it stupid..its like "get dressed, its the middle of the day"

but back in college i wore pj's all the time..just not out getting food lol..

it was nighttime...so u have that right..you should have said "uhm my mom is dead, thanks for being rude"

i would have honestly said that..
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 11:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I'm an "old lady" and I would wear sweats .....but I know some young ladies who would always dress up and put on make-up any time of the day or night. You can't make generalizations here. Everyone is different. You seem a little judgemental,huh?
    Anonymous

• Elderly women have a hard time at holding their tongue.
    I don't think you were dressed wrong just to go into the drug store. Usually, people who go into CVS in the middle of the night are there for prescriptions- meaning they're sick. Who wants to go dressed up? But little old ladies probably would.
    I do however have a problem when women go to the stores during the middle of the day in their PJ's. I see it all the time- 2 o'clock in the afternoon, women are grocery shopping in the PJ's. I just don't get that at all.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2009