breast feeding moms: did you have any trouble breast feeding after an epidural?

i was looking some stuff up about it and it said that your baby might have more trouble latching on or other breast feeding complications after having an epidural. also any other problems, why are some people against epidurals?

jak89

Asked by jak89 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Im not sure what an epidural has to do with the latching and breastfeeding..I had a c-section if that counts...he was preemee so he had issues latching cause my breast were too big.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i had an epidural, my son spent the next 12 hours on my breast lol. we had no problems.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I had a c section with all three of my mine. With csetion you don't get an epidural you get a spinal block which is basically the samething they just go a little deeper into you spin to administer the drugs. But, I never had any problems with mine lacthing on. I did how ever not produce enough breast milk to fill them up but I honestly don't think it had anything to do with the spinal block.. Most people are agaisnt it simply because they feel if you get on you did'nt truly go through birth cause you didn't have to feel the pain. Either way when you spit a kid out whether it be vaginal, c section, epidualr no epidural the kid comes out of you which means you gave birth.
    pandora3478

Answer by pandora3478 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I dont know why some people are against epidural - maybe because it is a medical intervention into natural process of childbirth? It comes with a considerable danger of permanent injury and futher complications (especially when you are over medicated).
    After getting epidural labour is slowing down and some women are unable to push properly as they dont have any sensations down there. Once you get epidural you and your child are being closely monitored and you are asked to remain in bed for the rest of the labour.
    I got an epidural and had no problems with pushing - actually DD was born within 6 minutes from my first push. I was still quite uncomfortable ( the OB called that pressure) but I can say it was pain :))) LOL.
    When it comes to BF I had no problems whatsoever and not only got the epi but DD was born at 36 weeks. She didnt BF for couple of few days and I needed to pump first but after that she behave like a pro :))
    polkamama

Answer by polkamama at 11:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I didn't have any problems BFing after an epidural. The one issue I did have was the epidural made it harder to find a good position to BF. It is hard to maneuver when you are numb from the waist down.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• It is believed that it's because when you get an epidural, it tells your brain you aren't in pain, so your brain stops sending the Beta-Endorphins you'd normally make during contractions to the baby. They believe this makes birth more painful for the baby (because the contractions do squeeze them) and can potentially interfere with the bonding process after birth, which includes breastfeeding.

http://www.carolgray.com/carolgray/Carol_Grays_Blog/Entries/2008/4/13_The_Truth_About_Epidurals.html

littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 12:05 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I had meds and an epidural, and we *did* have problems. I'm really not sure which contributed more, but I swore that I'd have neither ever again. Not that I ever got the opportunity; my son is my only child. I actually don't remember his birth at all, except for a couple of vague flashes.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:04 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My friend had everything under the sun as far as interventions & drugs--her son had difficulty latching on. I think it was because he was doped up. That was another reason I went drug-free. Pain is temporary & my child's health was my main concern so I dealt with the pain. Plus, the post natural birth high is amazing!
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:08 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• No problem with our epidural and nursing. The epidural goes into the mother's spinal column, no drugs enter the bloodstream. The epidural medications do not get to the baby.

There is a huge difference between an epidural and other pain medications.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2009