my son is 5 months is it to early to put him in a walker? if so at what age?

michele101183

Asked by michele101183 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• IF his legs can touch the floor and he is in a safe location (not around ANY stairs ANY time!) then YES I would say have at it. It won't help his mobility, but it would give him a different view of the world around him! Pack in some blankets around the back of him and hand him some hand toys to explore for a little bit!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I put my son and daughter into a walker as soon as they were able to hold their heads up without flopping around.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• my son will be 3 months and i started him already. my guess is depends on the baby. mine loves to be upright and is very strong already. i just put a blanket in there because he doesnt have complete control but he gets the idea.
    walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 11:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I put my son in our exersaucer when he was 4 months old. He couldn't quite hold himself upright so we stuffed a pillow behind him (to keep him leaning forward) and blankies to keep him balanced. He was so big by then we had to put it on the middle height, lol. He loved it. By the time he was 6 months old the thing was on the highest setting and he had outgrown the walker we had.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I say if he can hold up his head, then he should be able to be in a walker. If he can't touch the ground then put a pillow or something soft under his feet so he's not just dangling in it.
    jvann1

Answer by jvann1 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• The American Academy of Pediatrics says NO walkers. They don't help babies to walk. Check out the info on AAP.org.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:02 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I did it when he learned to crawl. It gave him more autonomy, I didn't do it to teach him to walk.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 2:39 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Why on earth would you want to use a walker?
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 2:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• HelloKitty, Why not? It helps them get acquainted with their own feet on the ground and go in the direction they want to go. They learn to stand when they want to and decide how much strength they need to use to move and push.I don't understand why you made that statement without going into your theory.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:51 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• The only thing I would mention is that you need to make sure they get adequate floor/tummy time as well as in the walker so they develop thier core muscles properly. Also watch for toe walking and correct it if you can. Other then that use good judgement. And remember, doctors are only practicing. Moms are the real thing. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:06 AM on Apr. 22, 2009