• In the Spotlight:

How long after child birth should one wait to return to work?

MayaGomez23

Asked by MayaGomez23 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• Wow, Micah's Mom. Way to make perfectly fine day care mommy's feel like shit!

I went back at 6 weeks. I didn't have short term disability, so wasn't getting paid. I went back for 2 weeks part time at 6 weeks, then full time at 8 weeks. Dd went to day care and was very well cared for. She got sick and they gave her extra love and attention. Day care isn't always bad. She loves her teachers, and at almost two, she stops by the nursery every morning to see her old teachers and give hugs.

To OP: It's really up to you. Once your body is healed, typically around 6 weeeks or so, you can consider going back. I highly recommend going back part time to wean your self back into work if you can. If you can stay out longer, even better. I actually got a little lonely at home so went in to visit my office and hubbys during my leave. At the end of the day, it's what you feel most comfortble with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• when your body is healed and you have your life situated and ready to go again. Takes about a month if not two.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• standard is 8-12 weeks. it would depend on your job though. if you do something on your feet all day i say wait the full amount that work gives you...if you sit at a desk and are ready to go back earlier than go for it...just make sure you have docs ok that way they can sign off on the maternity leave stuff
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Just throw your 8 week old in daycare and call it a day. S/he is probably a lot better off with a total stranger who has no personal attachment to him/her.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:15 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• When they go to school
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I took three months off work after i had my son. Then went back worked a month so my insurance would cover everything and at that point decided to quit to be a stay at home mom. but i could of went back after about six weeks.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 1:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I really think everyone is different and has different labors therefore different healing times. It is really when you and your doctor feel you are comfortable and of course you want to factor in when you are emotionaly ready. I would just follow your heart and listen hard :) I chose not to go back to work which was big because I loved my job but when mine was born I knew I wanted to be home with her so I became a WAH mom!! PM me if you want to talk about how you can to hun :)
    ChristinaDennis

Answer by ChristinaDennis at 9:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2009