birthday party sleepover what to do??

ok so got a birthday party for a 9yr old and it's a sleepover i have no idea what to do!? This might sound dumb but I have never done this before and im not that great at that kind of stuff. Are they just going to entertain themselves or should I have activities for them? party bags and stuff? The birthday girl says she wants spagetti for dinner but that sounds kinda hectic but it's her birthday. Im just not sure any Suggestions will help!! Thank you!

milf661

Asked by milf661 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Ok ok i gotcha! She girly? Spaghetti is great it is cheap and will feed them all! Do some crescent rolls to go with it and make them into cute hearts or something silly! They will love that. Make some cute non alchol drinks that are super girly specially for them. I would do a make up contest or hair contest see who can do it the best...singin/dancing contest...talk about boys with them...just be the coolest friend ever not a mom! Buy her a really special gift and when you are all sitting down give it to her so her mom will look awesome in front of her friends. Also try truth and dare...but obviously rated for their age group! Cookies and milk are a great topper along with some good movies your DD picked out the night before! GL have fun!!!!!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Wow, I would never suggest that a mom act as her daughter's friend rather than her mom, she needs a mom! She has plenty of friends and one mom.
    Movies are always fun for sleepovers, boardgames, fingernail painting, junk food.
    I never went to a sleepover where the mom really facilitated games or anything, we usually did our own thing in the living room, so don't worry about doing too much of that.
    Spaghetti sounds really easy on your pocketbook, but could be a mess with a bunch of excited little girls. But if that makes your daughter happy, I'd go for it.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think it's ok to be her friend for a few hours but always have your mommmy cap on. No bad words or inappropriate comments.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:20 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Click on slumber party on the attached link  http://www.cjkidz.com/Birthday%20Resource%20Page.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 7:30 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I have done it and my dd has gone to some. There is a mom that I cannot beat at this but I think she goes overboard because she is divorced and tries too hard to make up for it. So my dd thinks she is the best... anyway, she does plan games for the kids and they love it because mom's we don't usually play with them. So, things u can do are karaoke, pj modeling contest, play twister, have popcorn for the movie or nachos with cheese, pizza is always good, have a craft to do,  u can let them decorate their own cupcakes, play truth or dare, charades, etc.  My dd just went to one and to her was boring because they did nothing....

2girlsnmom

Answer by 2girlsnmom at 8:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I just did a sleepover for my 9 yr old SD with 5 friends. LOL i never did this before either. We had pizza and DQ icecream cake. I did have arts and crafts for them played a couple games (which didnt go that well since Bday girl lost them all) but they entertained them selves most of the night. I hope they had fun LOL
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 2:10 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• It isn't going to hurt a child to be a friend for a night...goodness, you can be your childs friend and still be mom, why do some parents feel it is either or. And what is wrong with taking the opportunity to get to really know your DD and the girls she is hanging out with?

Like everyone suggested , some planned activities are great and then time for them to chill, I always plan them just as you would a birthday party but nobody goes home. Just be prepared for them to take forever to fall asleep..there is usually lots of giggling going on!

Good luck but more important...have fun and enjoy the night.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 2:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• When I was a kid, I didn't want my mom around. I don't know how your daughter is, but I was rather bad and rebellious. So if I wanted to talk about boys in front of my friends, I didn't want my mom there. Not saying I did anything when I was that young. But my mom has always been a 50's girl goody goody so if I wanted to say a boy was even hot my mom would just embarrass me... If you have a good relationship with her then go ahead and hang with them. But don't be surprised if they don't wanna play truth or dare in front of you haha!
    madrigalreject

Answer by madrigalreject at 2:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I had 7 boys over for a sleep over for my son's 8th birthday. I rented a moonwalk (not sure where you live but I live in FL so the weather was perfect for this!) and had the boys bring flashlights to play flashlight tag out in the backyard once it got dark. I had several games lined up for them - like tying balloons around their ankles and playing tag; whoever had their balloon last won. I can tell you that they LOVED jumping in the moonwalk and did it for hours. That tires them out and keeps them out of the house for a while too! They made their own pizzas and by about 9pm, they were ready for a movie without me even needing to ask. I had bought T-shirts from Michaels with paint for them to decorate their own shirts but they were so tired from jumping that we never go to it. ;-)
    Good Luck!
    mlquessen

Answer by mlquessen at 3:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Go to walmart or Dollar tree and load up on pedicure stuff. we did this 4 our 9yrd old. We had a spa theme. We made soap and the girls gave eachother pedicures and painted cute designes on their toes and I painted everyones nails. They loved it. Walmart and micheals sell the soap making thing it was like 20 bucks and so worth it. While we were doing it we played music and the girls danced aroudn the room. They played dress up to and did there hair and makeup our oldest daughter helped them with that. Then once everyone was dressed up we watched a movie something about a summer camp and band that the disney channel aired over the summer. they all sang along with it and had a great time.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 3:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2009