A Call to Serve: President Obama Signs the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act, are you aware that this was signed today?

links for articles discussing the events today: http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/obamaforamerica/gGxW4m

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2009/04/obama_stresses_1.html

All the facts are here, this is now expected of us and our children...

http://www.serveohio.org/HotTopics/NationalServicePlanFactSheet%20(3).pdf

one excerpt:

The plan *conditions that assistance on school districts developing programs to *engage students in *service opportunities. Obama and Biden believe that middle and high school students should be *expected to *engage in community service for 50 hours annually during the school year or summer months.

Their plan *conditions that school systems must participate in the service program to rec'v funding from the gov't. and students are *expected to *engage in community service...

Does this sound like v

agentwanda

Asked by agentwanda at 11:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I will choose when and where my children volunteer. My family doesn't need a nanny.

There is another thread where agentwanda and I added some additional info including a link to a bill that will "enhance" this new legislation. Enhancement includes mandatory service and creating a 4 yr university for our future "leaders" to attend.

The legislation is unconstitutional because several basic rights are prohibited, one of them being participating in organized religion.

It is crap.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:33 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think it's great. If some parents won't step up to encourage their children to respect others and help people that need to be helped, at least somebody is doing it. It also will help pay for their college. I think it's wonderful.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I heard this was being signed. Uh, I think I understand what he's getting at but I believe it is up to families to decide what and where there kids should participate in community service. Pre K kids here in Seattle were "cleaning" up trash from a park when several handled needles and were subsequently tested for HIV. Nice.....I think not.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Community service shouldnt be a law. If you want to do it and earn something for it then good for you . If you wont want to, then oh well. I have done many things as community service, I was even in a service club in middle school. If I would have been forced to do it, then I wouldnt have liked it or wanted to continue to do it into my adult life.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 11:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• This affects all of us, not just our children, older folks too!

Obama and Biden will expand and improve the Senior Corps programs of Foster Grandparents, Senior Companions and RSVP that connect individuals over the age of 55 to local volunteer opportunities. They also will strengthen the AmeriCorps VISTA program to give experienced individuals additional service opportunities. Experience Corps is a good model that should be expanded beyond reading and mentoring to other challenges on which national service will be focused. Obama and Biden will work to provide *additional income security, including assistance with retirement and family-related costs, and continuation of health care coverage, for people who participate in citizen service.

It says you will rec'v *additional income security if you participate and what the heck is that about continuation of healthcare IF you participate in citizen service, what if you can't?
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I think its a good idea... Teach some of these very bad kids some discipline and respect!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 11:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Community service should never be mandatory. Slooowwwllly taking away rights as we speak, and some people just dont get it. Itll be too late before they do.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Its not mandatory... only if the school wan' government funding from that specific program... There are other programs out there that schools can do that are funded by the government.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I have to agree with Bexi on this one.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 12:20 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i think that it is a waste of time, if you want to give to your community it should be up to you not forced on you. say good bye to your freedoms one at a time until they are all gone and you can not remember what freedom is really like.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:21 AM on Apr. 22, 2009