what do you think is a good age to buy your son/daughter a cell phone?

rissa1789

Asked by rissa1789 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My oldest got her phone right before she turned 13. My SS is almost 10 & we have told him he has to wait until he is 13 as well. I do have 3 younger children & I realize that as technology changes, we may have to change that age but for now, it is 13 in our family.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• highschool freshman year.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• when they start driving ..
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i think when they start going to activities on their own they need one. it would be one of the ones that can only call certain numbers though before the age of 14. after that they could have one but would have to contribute to paying the bill
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My daughter was 14 and really didn't need it but her younger stepsister got one and my dd got really upset about it. I didn't need to give in but did because she is a great kid and never gives me trouble.
    My son was 15 when I gave him his, they only cost $10.00 a month and if they need to stay after school and need a ride home, they can always call me no matter where they are.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 12:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• When it becomes appropriate for the individual child. When he starts going out with friends and is away from home. Or if he does sports and stays after school he would need one. Other than that I would wait til he was driving.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:30 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i dono....i didnt have one till i was 16 but that was right when cellies were becoming cool..... my sister was younger when she got hers....I think it depends on the child....i would say around 12ish is a good age
    Lillette

Answer by Lillette at 12:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I believe it depends on the child. I would make sure she is resposible enough to have one... and I would really work toward that one if they are in extracarricular activities.
    hostlerak

Answer by hostlerak at 12:54 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• when they can pay for it themselves! I have two teen boys in sports, after school practices, etc. Never had a problem with them not being able to reach me, or vice versa. I think its a ridiculous indulgence, and I'm seeing so many kids getting into trouble with them. All this new "sexting" that they are doing, and sending nude pics back and forth, its crazy! Tough enough raising teens these days, handing them something more to get into trouble with, is just asking for trouble.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• my son got his over the summer , he is 9 .
    He does lots of sports an dgoes to friends, no where far but he goes to a rough schol so it is needed for him.
    dita

Answer by dita at 1:00 AM on Apr. 22, 2009