I'm pregnant & did something really stupid , I thought my two cats were to much work so...

I brought them to a shelter, after crying for 3 days about what Iv'e done I went back & got them they were there for Friday ,sat, sun, night & had to wait for them to open on Monday well now that they are home they are not eating, could they be stressed or depressed?? Please no bashing me I feel terrible

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Pets

• they're probably stressed, give them time
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:03 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• yeah they are stressed out and probably confused at what happened. Give them time...its okay! At least you took them to a shelter and not "for a walk" and dropped them at a street corner.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• You poor thing...thank God you got them back...no bashing here just glad theyre safe again..give them a couple days, its really noisy and scary in those places.....just LOVE LOVE LOVE them...give them a ((hug)) for me....and no more rash decisions you crazy emotional pregnant woman!:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:17 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• phew good thing you got them back. That was probably really stressful for them, and they should be fine soon.
    We put our dogs in a kennel during an extended vacation, and when we got back, one of them was skin and bones. He was really stressed out and would barely eat a thing the whole time. It took him a few days after we got them back to really settle down- our other dog was unaffected, but we had gotten her from a pound, so I think she was used to it.
    Don't be hard on yourself. At least they're safe with you now!
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Its ok. Dont beat yourself up about it... you have them now. They are probably stressed and a little confused... just give them a few days or so. If they don't get better I would take them to the vet because sometimes animals get sick in those shelters... especially kitties.
    hostlerak

Answer by hostlerak at 12:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• OMG!Of course they are going to be scared.Thank god you came to your senses and got them back.Your hormones are acting up and after the baby they will too.Don't do it again,I felt the same too.But in the long run,your cats are unconditional love.Please though while your preg.Have someone eles change the litter box or wear a mask,GOOD LUCK!!
    tclw

Answer by tclw at 1:00 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Aww. They probably are just stressed. *hugs*
    Glad you got them back though!

My ob told me this while I was pregnant, don't change the litterbox!
    They have toxins in their waste that can be very harmful to pregnant women.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 1:18 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• They are stressed out and they're punishing you by not eating. The dog I grew up with used to do the same thing when we went away for any period of time.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:47 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I agree with everyone else they are more then likely just stressed. Give them a few days to bounce back and keep lots of food down for them.
    Ms.MarineWife

Answer by Ms.MarineWife at 1:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• More than likely it's just stress. I would take them to the vet though, for a health exam just to be on the safe side. When you take an animal to a shelter, they have to quarantine them for a certain amount of time and by doing so they may have inadvertently been exposed to some type of illness. Better to be safe and have them checked out. :-) And thank you for coming to your senses and bringing them home where they belong. Very lucky kitties! Not many people do that.
    DiamondTiger

Answer by DiamondTiger at 5:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2009