how do I become a child care provider?

Lately, I've been seriously considering becoming a child care provider. I love kids, and my daughter (being only two) gets along with others well. I also want more children for her to play with, and that's another reason I want to do this. The only problem is that I don't know where to start. Right now the only other kids I watch on occasion are my two "nephews". One is three and the other is 18 months.

jvann1

Asked by jvann1 at 12:03 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• You can start by contacting your local DCFS office and they can start to get you licensed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Depends on your local and state laws... for me here the first thing is you must own your own home or have a business location to do so... so that knocked me out of hte running
    Enchantasi

Answer by Enchantasi at 2:13 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think there is a difference between babysitting a for a child in your home and starting a real business, but you should definitely check your local codes! In this area you can become a licensed provider by taking a class and then following all the rules. Many people informally watch a child---basically the child of someone they know personally or through someone else. One word of caution, though, just make sure you can be objective and care for the child. It can be hard to be objective when dealing with your own child and other children the same age.....if you can imagine what I mean about that!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Where I am, if the person comes to your home and watches your kids you don't have to have a license or childproofed house... if you expect to watch in your own home, you have to obtain a license and have your home child proof inspected. And if someone reports you having your kids watched by someone else in their home they can fine the person, and the parents
    Anonymous